Tilt is causing stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

gldavison

Seaman
I have a 22' Carver 1976 model with a Mercruiser engine and stern unit but the dog gone tilt will not operate. I am at a loss, I have searched and searched the internet for ideas but so far nothing works. Here is the skinny:

Motor purrs when down button is activated but only this button. Nothing when I ask the pump to raise the unit, nope nothing not even a click in the solenoid. By the way I tried replacing the solenoid and nothing. I am up to the trim limiter switch but do not see any broken wires or signs of trouble. Please if you have any further ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Best Regards,
Greg

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt is causing stress

Have you checked voltage at the solenoid coil? It will be the small wire or wires
on the solenoid.
Beef

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does it work when the trailer button is pushed, if you have the 3 button panel, will it work when you push the top 2 buttons at the same time?
Do you have 1 or 2 solenoids on your system?

gldavison

Seaman

Hi Don-
The tilt has three buttons, I have not tried hitting the up and center button at the same time though, I will. There is only one solenoid on the system. I do have motor action when I jump across the terminals on the solenoid in both directions. Thanks for the help thus far.

Take it from there please!
Greg

gldavison

Seaman

Don-
I just tried the two button push and the unit raised like nobody's business. Is this the trick or does this just give a clue as to what is wrong?? Appreciate the response and help!
Thank you.
Greg
Sturgeon Bay, WI

Bondo

Staff member

Is this the trick or does this just give a clue as to what is wrong??

That tells you the Trim Limit Switch is Out of the circuit,...........
Usually due to Rotten Wires, or Corroded Sending Units..............

The drive will rise All the way Up by using the 2 switches,.......
Be Careful,+ stay down in the Trim range,+ not up in the Trailer range........

gldavison

Seaman

where do I go from here? Do I need to replace the limit switch on the lower unit or can I go as is?

Thanks
Greg

Don S

That tells me the solenoid and part of the wiring are fine. You have a problem with the trim limit switch. Either it's defective, or the wiring to the limit switch is dead or it's out of adjustment.
Best thing to do is get an ohm meter and test the switch by turning the center button and seeing if the ohms change smoothly from limit to limit.
I'm not on my regular computer right now and can't tell you what it is.

gldavison

Seaman

Thank you all once again.
By checking the ohms at the button I am thinking you are speaking of the limit switch and rotating the setting while looking for a change in ohms. Right or wrong?

Happy Labor Day!
Greg

Don S

Actually, I told you wrong. You are checking the trim limit switch, not the sender. It should be open or closed depending on the position of the drive.
You still check it by tuning the the center but it will either be contact or no contact depending on the position.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I may have the same issue? if I hit both the tilt and trim buttons at the same time the motor will raise however there is no trailer button to push and I have a different boat 1995 Carver 250 here is a picture of a reservoir that looks low on fluid not sure what goes in there? i just bought this boat and trying to figure out the ins and outs the owner did not know very much about the boat hoping this link works right
IMG_0732.jpg

Last edited:

Don S

2007 Thread.
Please don't reply to old thread, feel free to read the archives, just don't post to them.

Thanks.

Closed......

Status
Not open for further replies.