Tilt doesn't work and I need help figuring out where to start

dirtymike

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1977 formula with the 235 OMC stringer drive, and the trim doesn't work. So far from seeing other pictures, i'm missing an arched piece with gears which i believe is called a tilt quadrant. I'm going to assume that the motor that drives it is dead, otherwise why would the quadrant be removed. Where would I be able to locate a new motor, and where does it install?

Also, is there anything else you can see that might be missing?

here are 2 crappy pics i just took

outdrive1.jpg

outdrive2.jpg

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt doesn't work and I need help figuring out where to start

Welcome to iboats! First step is to go to the adults only sticky at the top of the page and download the manual for your drive year. This should help you figure you what you have and need. If you still have questions I or some of the other members will be glad to help you out.

superbenk

Commander

Yes, you are missing a quadrant gear. Get the manual NW Redneck suggested. Also, that's a lot of brown around the transom boot, is the transom solid?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Before you assume the tilt motor is dead, do some electrical checks on it, it may be as simple as a bad connection. The age suggests a high likelyhood of corrosion. If you need a quadrant, PM me, I have a spare.

southkogs

Staff member

You should be able to find a quadrant gear EASILY on ebay. They're a dime a dozen. Before you buy a new tilt motor, get in there and pull the old one (depending on the year they mount a bit different, so definitely get that manual). You may be able to have the current motor rebuilt depending on it's condition and that will be about 1/2 the price of the new one. Also, while you're in there and have it apart - check your hammer coupling and your gear shaft. There are two solenoids that run that system, and you'll want to make sure they're in good shape too.

BTW - you called it "trim" in your post. In case that wasn't an accident, don't trim the engine with that unit. The OMC's had as an option a selectrim that worked from the very FRONT of the engine. The portion you've taken pictures of is strictly for TILT. You need to run a Stringer in full down position to protect the ball gear.

I agree with superbenk too - check that transom boot. It's lookin' a bit rough.