Tilt and Trim question

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 Mercury 115. When at w.o.t., I can only trim up so high, and that's it. On the trailer, or at idle, I can trim to where the prop comes out the water (I don't do that at idle, but I could). Once I get going, the trim only goes so far. Why? Is there a limit switch that wasn't working, and all of a sudden is now? When I first got the boat, I could trim up as high as I wanted at w.o.t. On the trailer trim all the way up and all the way down with no problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt and Trim question

Check your oil?You have a manual?The library has some manuals.You need to fill it per specs.J

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds normal. When at High throttle it is only a trim. Otherwise it is a tilt.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will check the oil...prob needs to be replaced since it seems the previous owner didn't prescribe to the preventative maintenance lifestyle.

So at w.o.t., I can only tilt the motor so high? Funny how it tilted higher about 3 trips ago. Maybe it was malfunctioning then, and is how it should be now?
Next to regulate and tune the carbs...my speed sux.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is cut from service manual explaining how tilt and trim works. It's not from your exact year but I think yours should work the same.

Attachments

• tilt.jpg
    tilt.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Excellent joed I learned something new today from your post reply

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thnx Joed...sorry it took so long to see this and reply...but at leasy I did!! lol I reread my manual, or somewhere online, and got the same info...but I thank you just the same!

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I learned something as well as I didn't know that fact....Thanks for posting Joed....