tilt and trim fluid ?

dpeslinger

Seaman Apprentice
I just noticed in my trim pump it appears to be trans fluid. is this ok and if not how do i drain. there is only one hole on the pump to access fluid. i can post pic if needed. thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt and trim fluid ?

My Merc manual says look at what's in there and use the same thing. Some are designed with ATF and others with Quicksilver TT fluid. Mine happens to use the latter.

Mark

RRitt

Captain

i have an engine that's not working right. Can you tell me what's wrong with it?

What's that? You need to know what type of engine and what year.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

ATF is an acceptable PTT fluid. Is there something wrong with the PTT function?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yep, you have a problem.

That's about all you can get for a reply without telling us what you have, you know, HP, Year, serial number if possible. Just little things like that.

Not all trim systems are the same. Big difference between a 1971 80hp, and a 2012 250 Optimax.

dpeslinger

Seaman Apprentice

thanks don, here is a pic and serial # is 1B111486. 2005 60hp mercury.
I removed and inspected the relays. they were very clean.
it varies in speed when operating, like the battery is low, (but its not) and the noise is as if its working REALLY hard to move.

20130324_111731.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, I edited your signature so it will show what motor you have any time you post. That way people don't have to ask each time.

Make sure the trim reservoir is full. Check with motor tilted FULL up. Your trim uses ATF. Make sure it's not milky.

Does the motor itself show any rust signs? Does the motor run slow, or does it sound normal and just the speed is slow?

dpeslinger

Seaman Apprentice

no don, read again what i wrote before. speed varies and has noise.
checked fluid level. is ok. thats how i noticed was atf

and thanks for the edit

RRitt

Captain

use atf dextron or ISO32 hydraulic oil.
factory ships with ATF.

hydraulic oil with make rubber last longer and absorb slightly more moisture.
ATF will foam less and be easier to see fluid levels.

when that system is low on fluid it lifts to the point where the gears are sucking air and then stops. The system will remain firm at that level and may bounce slightly when you lower it.

irregular speed is usually an indication that the lower oil seal between motor and reservoir has come loose and oil is present inside the motor. If the problem is not attended to, it can lead to water getting into reservoir. Water in hydraulic fluid will separate and sink to bottom durimg long. cold storage. If long enough and cold enough then it will cause system to split like a pipe.

course of action is to take motor off from the four base bolts - being careful not to leave a BP sized oil spill. Take motor into shop and inspect the oil seal in top of reservoir. If loose then throughly wash and dry motor to get rid of oil residue. you do not need to lubricate inside of motor when re-assembling. All bearings and brushes are imbedded with oil and self-lubricating. You do need to make 120% sure that all water is removed and all gaskets in perfect, new condition. using lacq thinner, prep the oil seal recess and lock-tite the oil seal into place. assemble and dry test motor for strong, quiet operation. reassemble system. if problems persist then it may be in the MRV. Your pump has a debris filter. Any MRV problems are probably beyond the scope of reliable DIY repairs.