tight steering cable outboard pontoon

Mel85CJ

Seaman Apprentice
We are swapping in a 1988 johnson spl88 in place of a evinrude vro40 and we have the motor on te transome and went to hook up the steering cable and it is TIGHT. This is in our 1985 flotebote. When i turned the wheel is fairly tight and especially seems to get real hard to turn when turning the wheel right again after full lock. It didnt feel bad last year (this is only our 2nd season with the boat) when hooked up to the 40. The cable is not hooked onto the motor yet, we are having trouble getting the cable through the rear sleeve. HELP! My whole family is expecting us to.have this done for this weekend. Should i be looking at getting a new cable or ateering system? I saw something in a catalog for $250? Is that something a boat store would stock?

Mel

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: tight steering cable outboard pontoon

Some boats are set up so tight that the cable MUST be inserted into the steering tube BEFORE the motor is bolted down. In wider boats people slide the motor over to insert the cable then move it back to bolt it.

You can either move the motor to insert the cable or you might have to lift the motor with a hoist and align that cable before you lower it.

Yup..... some of them are a real PITA

NYBo

Admiral

If the steering is tight before you even hook it up to the motor, you need to lube or replace the cable at the very least.

Mel85CJ

Seaman Apprentice

He was able to get it onto the motor, but it is really tight. Any tips on lubing the cable.