Tige 20v rattle noise

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I have had the boat, two seasons now, I have had a chatter or rattle what appears to come from the transmission area. Only while motoring in gear under 1200 rpm or so. Thought is was pretty normal but the more reaserch I do, the more it sounds like I may have to have the damper plate looked at. Any suggestions? Looks like a tough job.

Borg Warner trans and Walter v-drive

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Tige 20v rattle noise

You may have loose springs in the drive plate. But you are not saying what engine is pushing it. A diesel will rattle the planetaries at low speed as will a gas engine not running smoothly

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Tige is a wakeboard boat so no deisel -Marine power 5.7l gas. I have heard timing may be a root cause so its 1st on my list. Engine was tuned last year so probably not the problem. I am looking to find out from others who have changed their plate on a similar type boat or have had a similar experience. More than likley i will take it to the local mechenic. Im pretty good with a wrench but with all the close quarters and possible alignment issues that may come from taking the vdrive and tranny out, a few hundred in labor may be worth it for them to tackle. Thanks.

salty87

Commander

i was going to suggest damper plate as well. i've swapped one but not on a v drive.

you might post to a more active inboard site like wakeworld. there's probably a tige owner's board around too.