Tidal creek dock, never enough water

RyalsCreek

Cadet
I?m hoping someone will read this that has a similar situation and has figured out a method to deal with it. I live on a tidal creek and use a 16? skiff to go in the ocean, barrier islands and the Intracoastal Waterway. Since the creek is tidal, I?m limited to approximately 2.5 hours before and 2.5 hours after high tide for boating, after that, I?m boating in silt. Since the tide is influenced by the moon phase and offshore winds, sometimes I have 3-4 hours before and after high tide, but it is never precise.
I?m considering assembling a system that works similar to a low warning device on autos for windshield washer and coolant reservoirs whereby when the fluid drops below a certain level, the current is disconnected and sends a signal which will be a two way signal like a walkie talkie signal. The signal will only need to go about two miles because when I?ll need it is when I?m lounging with my family on a beach island two miles away. There have been so many times we?ve returned and then realize that we could have stayed an extra hour easily. I?m sure the system may cost a couple of hundred dollars, but will be well worth it for the additional leisure time for snorkeling, swimming and surfing.. If anyone has any input or has a solution, I?m all ears.

karatejoe

Seaman
Re: Tidal creek dock, never enough water

good forethought on your invention. I could see that working.
I am subject to tides also as I can only get thru the canals at med to high tide and nothing less. Bent prop and destroyed lower pump have proven this. My solution was to buy a 4-sale sign which sits in it now. I dont want to be controlled by the influx of tide changes. I will get a smaller boat.

RyalsCreek

Cadet
Re: Tidal creek dock, never enough water

karatejoe I've bent my prop more than once on oyster beds when racing the tide back in. I received some suggestions, here are some, hook up a low water warning alarms used for basements or outdoor tanks, the sensors will have to be reversed. Another was to install a web cam and make depth markings on a piling and just use my Iphone to see what the current level is.