Thrust washer stuck

mike__b

Seaman
I pulled the prop on this 90's 40HP Evinrude I have last night. Maybe the previous owners never removed it because the splines are somewhat corroded, no grease to be seen. I tapped the prop with a rubber mallet and it slid right off, but the thrust washer is stuck. I need to remove it to replace some seals.

Any suggestions on how to remove it. I've tried heating it a little with a torch, hitting it with a plastic mallet and prying lightly behind it with a screw driver.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Thrust washer stuck

Spray some PB on it and let it set. Heat up the shaft instead of the washer, then let it cool and slap the washer on the side with the mallet. Try light gentle taps with a metal hammer too. If you can lock the propshaft in a vise (carefully!), take a channel lock around the washer and turn it. If you do all this Im sure youll get her off. :)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

And you could always get a three arm gear puller from advanced auto. :)

mike__b

Seaman

I combined all methods, minus the puller. I heated up the joint itself, and I noticed it was pushing some of the corrosion out. I kept heating it and kept prying lightly from behind with a flathead. Then after fit was hot, I would hit is with a plastic mallet opposite of the screwdriver. Spin a little, repeat. Eventually it started wiggling ever so slightly. I put a screw driver behind on the left and right and it popped off.

I would have used a puller but we didn't have one long enough, it was over 5 inches.

Any idea how to get the seal housing out now? =p

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I combined all methods, minus the puller. I heated up the joint itself, and I noticed it was pushing some of the corrosion out. I kept heating it and kept prying lightly from behind with a flathead. Then after fit was hot, I would hit is with a plastic mallet opposite of the screwdriver. Spin a little, repeat. Eventually it started wiggling ever so slightly. I put a screw driver behind on the left and right and it popped off.

I would have used a puller but we didn't have one long enough, it was over 5 inches.

Any idea how to get the seal housing out now? =p

Good to hear, as for the "seal housing" are you referring to the bearing carrier? There are plenty of videos on youtube about this, check them out. Typically you will need to innovate a tool to pull that joker out.