Thru Hull question ?

beautat

Recruit
I have recently aquired an 1983 procraft with some fixing up to do:facepalm:, so this will not be the last time you will hear from me ,I am positive since I am a novice who likes to fix things up. So please be patient with me. First, what type of thru-hull fittings do i buy? metal or nylon-plastic. I will be in fresh water only & have been told that plastic will be fine, is this true?

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Thru Hull question ?

I have a plastic thru-hull transducer on my boat that I use in fresh-water...I hope that helps.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, but in the future, you can expect more thorough answers if you provide more details in your question. For example, in this question, I would have expected you to explain (1) the material of the thru-hull fittings currently in place, (2) whether you are replacing existing fittings or adding new ones, (3) whether they will be above or below the waterline of the boat, (4) whether they are in a location where they will likely be exposed to contact with a dock or boat trailer, and (5) whether or not you are concerned with the long term degradation (brittleness) of some plastic fittings.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

absolutely never use plastic thru-hulls, at least for below the waterline... Too much stress on the barb fitting combined with a year or two of age, and that plastic can break fairly easily. broken thru-hull = sunken boat. no bilge pump will be able to keep up with that type of flow for very long.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Nylon thru hull fittings are fine above the waterline, depending on your boating location. In the hot south, you'll get 4-6 years before replacement...less in salt water. Up north, you'll probably never have to replace them.

Below the waterline, go with metal, whether it's brass, nickel coated brass, chrome plated steel, etc. Any below the waterline fittings are required to have immediately accessible seacocks fitted for quick shutoff. Use strainer type exterior fittings on the thru-hulls.

beautat

Recruit

thank u all, sorry i was not more thorough with my question, but I knew I would get my answer. yes there are 2 on starboard side( 1 for bilge; another for bait well overflow ,I believe). The port side has 1 ( for the side live well overflow, I believe ) both below water level. not the bilge. then there are 2 on transom (1 maybe for live and bait well drains, the other for their inlets) will try to figure this out later< but any knowledge I can gain now is helpful. hint....hint... all below water level except bilge . once again thank you. boat is fiberglass!!!!!!!! sorry

beautat

Recruit

thank u all, sorry i was not more thorough with my question, but I knew I would get my answer. yes there are 2 on starboard side( 1 for bilge; another for bait well overflow ,I believe). The port side has 1 ( for the side live well overflow, I believe ) both below water level. not the bilge. then there are 2 on transom (1 maybe for live and bait well drains, the other for their inlets) will try to figure this out later< but any knowledge I can gain now is helpful. hint....hint... all below water level except bilge . once again thank you.