Increase in tickets
No appreciable incrase in horse power
2 more holes in the transom to rot.
Loss of hearing
I can`t fine a Pro reason

45Auto

Commander
Re: thru hull exhaust

You need it if you're looking to make over 500 HP. Through-prop exhaust is too restrictive for the amount of flow required at that horsepower level.

Below 500 HP you'll see no difference in performance, but it's good for making you feel like you have a big **** and aggravating and impressing other boaters who don't know any better ....... :eek:

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Trust me, this is the wrong forum to bring up thru hulls.......Offshoreonly, Seriousoffshore, or Speedwake.

REDNECK302

Cadet

PROS- they're loud
CONS......They're LOUD

if your going to go this route defenitly go silent choice so you can run "stealth" at appropriate times... like anytime your near houses and camps or other boaters...

I personally love the sound but I'm young and love building hot rods and am just now getting into tinkering with boats...

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I may try it if I repower the lil' Ray to a stroked 350(383/400hp).
Right now I'm looking at a 300hp 350 so I probably won't bother.
I have heard some lakes are cracking down and the Water Patrols
are checking with db meters. Not worth that kind of attention.

skargo

Banned

Just switch out the exhaust bellows for an exhaust tube, then you can straight arm it and get the BAWAAAAAAAA for a few moments.

I think thru hulls are users choice, if that's what makes ya feel good, then go for it. My personal choice is not to have them so I can hear myself think when I'm running around.
There are a lot of nice performance boats where I boat, and they don't bother me, they sound good when they are "getting it" but they have massive power and cost as much as a house!

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love em on v-8s especially with a mild cam. Comp cams.. A dude once asked me why I wanted 700 hp from my c15 cat in my Peterbilt. I told him if you have to ask me that you won't understand. Put them on! Captains call is so awesome. I'm just going straight out. I don't care who's house I upset or who doesn't like it. Too bad. No restrictions here in Mississippi!!

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Ive done an over the transom set of pipes and the ends turned down, that's another option saves drilling holes in your transom and keeps the noise down as well but still sounds nice.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

personally they sound good but i perfer not to have thru hull exhaust i like to be respectful to other boaters and not everybody likes all that noise boating is supose to be relaxing leave the noise to the city. another thing i dont understand and dont like are this wake boarding boats with these big stereo systems and having the stereo cranked goin down the lake can's stand it.

sorry for the rant

45Auto

Commander

tommywalton said:
I don't care who's house I upset or who doesn't like it. Too bad. No restrictions here in Mississippi!!

Not [a lot of people agree with] tommywalton. Do you really believe that there's a state out there without some kind of marine noise regulations??? Unfortunately, there's a few people [like tommy] anywhere you go! They're the kind of people who cause problems for everyone else.

Here's the boating checklist from the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. Notice the line where it shows mufflers are required?

http://www.dmr.state.ms.us/Public-Affairs/calendar/2010-boating.pdf

You may want to familiarize yourself with the actual Mississippi law, there's no reference to boat size in it. Here's a link to the Mississippi Boat Operaters Course, you probably want to pay special attention to Section 8 "Mufflers".

http://www.boatcourse.com/Mississippi/02_LawsAndSafetyEquipment/07_Mufflers.aspx

Here's the law, if you can't get to the link above:

EXHAUST MUFFLERS

Except in case of a motorboat competing in a sanctioned race or regatta, it is unlawful to use a vessel propelled in whole or in part by gas, gasoline, or naphtha unless the vessel is provided with a stock factory muffler underwater or other device capable of adequately muffling the sounds of the exhaust of the engine. The phrase ?adequate muffling? means that the motor?s exhaust at all times is so muffled or suppressed as not to create excessive noise.

No person shall operate a vessel upon waters of this state under any condition or in any manner that the vessel emits a sound level in excess of 86 decibels on ?A? weighted scale when measured from a distance of 50 feet or more from the vessel. The operator of such vessel may be ordered off the water upon failure to submit to sound level testing procedures.

Edit: Less of a slam on 'ole tommy - QC

QC

Supreme Mariner

Technically, I agree with this thread completely. I will say though that there are some places where thru hulls are the norm and it's just the way it is. When I bought my current ride she had thru hulls with no mufflers. I was going to install Captain's Call or something similar, but first ride with the wife and she says "I like it" . . . I have to admit I love the crackle when I start her, that first "waahrap" just sounds so sweet :eek: I have also been tested according to AZ law which was 86 dB at 50 feet, but they do it at idle. I came in like 83 dB . . . This is a 6.2 MX MPI. The point is though that the rumble of HP is more the norm than the exception where we boat. Good? Define good. The smell of unburnt hydrocarbons is not necessarily good, but there with both styles. I do know if I was on a small mountain lake I'd be embarrassed, where we boat I don't get even a first thought, let alone a second ;)

Philster

Captain

I passed on the idea. Well, I have thru-hulls, but they run through waterlift mufflers.

I run in-shore and just some offshore. 502 cubic inches out 4" open pipes? Headache. I thought I wanted it until I realized I'd rather be part of the boating community.

Mind you, I have a growl, but it just isn't so obnoxious that I belong offshore. In my opinion, open and/or non-muffled thru-hull exhausts are best offshore.

45Auto

Commander

QC said:
I have to admit I love the crackle when I start her, that first "waahrap" just sounds so sweet :eek: ...... there are some places where thru hulls are the norm

I agree with all of QC's post. My 496 HO (425 HP) has Captain's Call switchable exhaust and I love the sound of that unmuffled big block on startup and when it comes on plane! That being said, there isn't any difference in speed or fuel flow whether I'm running the exhaust through the drive or through the thru-hulls.

Big difference between QC and tommywaltons post:

tommywalton said:
I don't care who's house I upset or who doesn't like it. Too bad.

is that there are appropriate times and places for it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I only hope that when people see a bunch of us come down on open exhaust and loud stereos they remember that there ARE inconsiderate poeple out there like ole you know who that leave a bad taste in the mouth of anyone they encounter thus provoking the anger that wells up instantly at the very mention of loud anything....

QC

Supreme Mariner

And I hope that those who "come down on open exhaust and loud stereos" remember there are some considerate people that have both . . . ;) annnnd they might even leave an unattended anchor buoy out once in a while :D :p

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I certainly agree with the first half of that:D I can see how there might be circumstances where the other might apply too.... :cool:

45Auto

Commander

Snagging one of those anchor bouys with the props when I'm slaloming between the early morning fisherman with my thru-hulls open and my stereo cranked up is very annoying. It usually causes me to have to go through a couple of boxes of ammo before I can get away, and ammo prices are really outrageous lately!

Status
Not open for further replies.