Throttling, shifting and RPM questions

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
So put the boat into today to test out the engine (Been working on it). When I went to reverse out of the dock it wouldn't move. The prop was spinning and seemed to be spinning good but no movement. I then moved the gear shifter to forward and we went forward so I put into reverse again and then we slowly moved backwards.
Not sure why it worked like that and what would cause that ?

When I pushed the throttle up it goes from the N to 1/2 to the max it can move before it hits idle speed, I guess you call it. Till then it seems really slugish and the motor sounds like its not gonna stay running. Couple times it died while at the dock getting ready to go out.

When I pushed up to full throttle I was getting about 4100-4200 RPM's and a max speed of 14.4 MPH on the GPS. Average speed was about 13 - 13.5 MPH. A 24ft pontoon with a '87 3 cylinder 70hp Mercury . I thought WOT was about 5100 RPM on this engine but can't find the specs I had read again. Was just three of us on it w/o any supplies so weight wasn't a issue.

So not sure were to start to delve into this issues if they are issues. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Mark