throttle teeth stripped and more

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought a 1984 yachtwin 9.9 long shaft. The teeth on the gears where the throttle assembly meet the motor are stripped and frequently (almost every time) jump when you try to turn the throttle. The teeth are stripped on both sides - at the motor and the throttle. Even when they don't slip, the throttle is very hard to turn. I took off the throttle arm and tried turning the gear on the motor side directly (while the motor was running) - it is very hard to turn.<br /><br />My question is this - can both be replaced easily, and if so roughly how much can I expect to pay for the necessary parts? Also is the difficulty turning the throttle a normal problem or is it indicative of some other problem? Can I just grease up the throttle parts?

BF

Lieutenant
Re: throttle teeth stripped and more

Hiya,<br /><br />2 seasons ago I bought a 15 hp of about the same vintage as your 9.9 (basically the same motor). I had the same prob with mine when I got it. The gears in the tiller arm were so rounded/worn that they barely contacted each other. However, it ended up being pretty easy to fix. You can shim the gear & shaft that run in the tiller handle back so that they firmly engage the gear on the linkage going into the motor. Just take the throttle grip off (1 screw), take the horseshoe clip off the shaft, pull the shaft & gear out when you have the tiller tilted all the way up. Then I put a teflon washer (or two?) on the shaft, slid down against the back side of the gear, Re-assemble, and the washer(s) you put in will keep the shaft rearward a bit and the gears firmly engaged. They shouldn't be binding but not loose either. Of course if they're still too loose, add another washer.<br /><br />So, 2 seasons later and all is well. The gears still have rounded edges, but I see no need to replace them (yet).<br /><br />Also if you haven't seen it yet, here is a great article on your motor... The author (not me) does post here.<br /><br />maintaining 9.9/15 hp article <br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Brent

BF

Lieutenant

forgot to say, I'd get the gear problem fixed, then lube up the rest of the linkages and see where that leaves you. Maybe it hasn't been run for a while because of this problem, so things might be gummed up a bit. <br /><br />Also, replace that impeller!<br /><br />Brent

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see where it leaves me.<br /><br />btw, do you know something about my impeller that I don't? :eek:

BF

Lieutenant

just that you don't want it to fall apart and overheat/cook your motor. They're normal wear items. Even though the one in my 15 hp looked OK, it pumped water poorly. Given that you've got a motor that wasn't maintained immaculately, I'd guess it's unlikely that the impeller has been changed lately. (I knew nothing had been done to my motor in years) It says how to do it in that article... it's not hard and a new one will cost <$10. You'll have peace of mind.<br /><br />that's my $.02<br /><br />Brent

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I'll check it!<br /><br />Thanks again!