Throttle Controls

BigPoppie

Cadet
I just bough a 24ft Sylvan pontoon that has a 75 HP Stinger motor on the back. I took it into dealer and they said motor runs great but the throttle control/gear lever is not for a motor of this size and I need a new one. They said it is not safe and undersized. I am all for safe but not happy with the $1000 estimate w parts and labor.

I am very capable of doing this work but have NO idea what controler to get and what is needed to connect it to the motor. I am assuming cables of some sort? Choke controls? Gear cables?

PS. This is my first Outboard and the Stinger is new to me..

Thanks!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Throttle Controls

Lots of things not making sense here BP, the throttle shifter control only moves a cable to change gears and move throttle linkage. Not sure what size has to do with the control at all. Also not sure what a 75hp Stinger is.
Does the motor have a year or manufacturer? Perhaps some pictures of your control and motor could help.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don s... 75 stinger is a late 1970s Johnson three cylinder.

And BIGpopie in opinion this dealer is full of it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Johnson/Evinrude 75 stinger. Any Johnson/Evinrude control of that time period (And then some) should work fine. Should be able to pick up some controls on Ebay for less than $200.00 easy. $1000.00 is way out there..

stingeroo2.jpg

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't bend over for anything you may drop while around this dealer.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would still like to see a picture of the control and hear from the poster. Obviously his "Dealer" is crook. But it could also be the control is fine for his motor and that nothing more than a cable is the problem. But without knowing exactly what he has, it's all speculation, and the only way to find out is to ask.

BigPoppie

Cadet

Lots of things not making sense here BP, the throttle shifter control only moves a cable to change gears and move throttle linkage. Not sure what size has to do with the control at all. Also not sure what a 75hp Stinger is.
Does the motor have a year or manufacturer? Perhaps some pictures of your control and motor could help.

The dealer has the boat so no pics available..but I am having them put in stereo ONLY and should get it back early this week. Not sure of year of motor (I agree with early to mid 70s however). Dealer said it was a safety thing and it could start in gear??? If I have serial # of motor, how can I tell the year? Thanks guys!! BP

BigPoppie

Cadet

Johnson/Evinrude 75 stinger. Any Johnson/Evinrude control of that time period (And then some) should work fine. Should be able to pick up some controls on Ebay for less than $200.00 easy. $1000.00 is way out there..

View attachment 144940

What do I search/look for? Are these controls specific to Johnson/Evinrude? Is there a control rating for the size of the motor? I don't have tilt currently so I don't need that on controler as an option do I? How hard/much is it to add tilt to this type of boat/motor? Are there any maintenance recommendations to prevent breakdowns on water?

Thanks!!
BP

BigPoppie

Cadet

View attachment 144940

May sound dumb but..What about cables needed for new controler? How are the throttle, gear and choke controled from one controler? Do I need multiple cable?

Thanks!!:confused:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Sounds like the neutral safety switch is not working and thats a simple fix in most cases. 10.00 for a switch