Three Little Freebies: Help me properly ID them

CptAJ

Cadet
Got these freebies from a friend yesterday. They're 3 225hp Evinrudes from the late 80's, I think.

Y2yLq.jpg

The darker two went through some mechanical restoration about 3 years ago or so. But they were then abandoned in a very bad place. The lower units all got stolen and the one on the right was even left out in the rain. I figured what the hell, I'll take them. They'll serve as a neat restoration project and a chance for me to learn outboard mechanics.

The plates spin fine so they're not locked up, thank goodness! Electrical is pretty fubar and they're all missing the starter motors.

At any rate, I need some help identifying them. I photographed the little hole in the stern end of the motor and looked the numbers up in the awesome guide here but only the light blue one had an identifiable model number.

pdW6h.jpg

Which would make it

Evinrude
225hp
Trim/Tilt Electric start
25"

The other two had these:

d7Q3u.jpg
TeKsq.jpg

Is there anywhere else on the motor I can find the model number?

Bonus pic: All three packed into the truck. I almost lost a hand taking them down between my friend and I. We really should've gotten a third person to help :facepalm:

1eWcR.jpg

Also, if anyone knows where I can find or can maybe send me a digital version of the repair manuals for these motors PLEASE do so. My email is antonioetayo@gmail.com. I very much need them.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Three Little Freebies: Help me properly ID them

Well, I don't know the V-6 class Evinrudes very well, but what I would do, is take the best one of the three and fix it up. Parting out the other two, should easily bring you enough cash to get a lower unit and starter. You should easily find parts you need on ebay.

Then set that bugger on the back of a 18' - 20' ski boat, and you're set :D

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

They are surely 80's models. 1986 was the year the 235 became the 225 and from what I can tell the cowlings you have in the last pic are 1986 cowlings

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You have (3) 1988 3.0 liter loopers..fro the looks they are missing a lot of parts.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

IMHO, I'd just part them all out and get something decent.

CptAJ

Cadet

IMHO, I'd just part them all out and get something decent.

This is a very sensible opinion to have, to be sure. But I can probably get at least one of them burning, even if I never do get around to finding a lower unit. I see this as an education investment though. Think of all the money I'll save through the years if I can do my own mechanics work!

What do you see missing besides the starter and electrical parts? (The lower units are a given) I don't have a complete one for reference (Manuals PLEASE! The mercury guys have them, are we gonna let them beat us? Come on!)

By the way, just to clear this up, I'll be having plenty of help during the process by a mechanic friend of mine. We just haven't gotten started yet. I'm gonna be doing everything myself though. He'll just provide guidance.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I see packs missing ,coils and wires, cant see other side so may be missing VRO pumps all which are quite expensive and I wouldnt take a chance on used parts. Even if you get it running you wont be able to tell if its runs right as this engine will need to be in water with back pressure, may run great on hose but not even start when it gets in water!!!...plus the 1988 aint the greatest idling motor anyway. I second Boobies option of parting them out.......

CptAJ

Cadet

Got to work on these bad boys for the first time today. So, from the picture I've named them A, B and C; from left to right. The goal here is to restore A or B. Hopefully both but I'll settle for one.

All three are missing the starter motors. Not much to do there, really.

A was missing the primer solenoid assembly so I sourced that from C. I had to remove the intake cover to locate the primer hoses and good thing I did. I noticed the two fuel intake tees were missing. Surely I would've found out eventually but its good to know early. I could only pull one from C. Gonna have to get creative for the second one.

A is also missing the VRO oil reservoir tank but thankfully the pump is still there.

No such luck for B. Pump was missing. Good ol' C to the rescue once again though. I pulled the pump but ran out of light before I could install it.

Powerpacks are missing from both as well and the base structure for the powerpack is missing from A as well. C can't help this time because its broken there too. These guys were awfully mistreated. I was expecting the starter to be the most expensive part but damn those powerpacks are pricey :( I also noticed that I dodged a major bullet with the primer solenoid. Why the hell are those things so expensive? Glad I got them both. I hope they work.

A and C are missing the coil assemblies for all cylinders as well.

Parts list (So far):
* Starter motor x 2
* Power pack x 2
* Coil assembly x 6 (Low priority, only needed for second engine)
* Electrical bracket assembly x 1 (Low priority, only needed for second engine)
* VRO reservoir x 2
* Lower unit x 2

Pffft, and Faztbullet said this was gonna be expensive! Hah! :p

Learned a LOT today! Even from just the drawings in the parts catalogue. I can only imagine how much I'd learn from the manual.

Edit: Forgot to mention! Things looked pretty mint inside the intake cover which was a pleasant change of pace, hah

sunwest

Cadet

Got to work on these bad boys for the first time today. So, from the picture I've named them A, B and C; from left to right. The goal here is to restore A or B. Hopefully both but I'll settle for one.

All three are missing the starter motors. Not much to do there, really.

A was missing the primer solenoid assembly so I sourced that from C. I had to remove the intake cover to locate the primer hoses and good thing I did. I noticed the two fuel intake tees were missing. Surely I would've found out eventually but its good to know early. I could only pull one from C. Gonna have to get creative for the second one.

A is also missing the VRO oil reservoir tank but thankfully the pump is still there.

No such luck for B. Pump was missing. Good ol' C to the rescue once again though. I pulled the pump but ran out of light before I could install it.

Powerpacks are missing from both as well and the base structure for the powerpack is missing from A as well. C can't help this time because its broken there too. These guys were awfully mistreated. I was expecting the starter to be the most expensive part but damn those powerpacks are pricey :( I also noticed that I dodged a major bullet with the primer solenoid. Why the hell are those things so expensive? Glad I got them both. I hope they work.

A and C are missing the coil assemblies for all cylinders as well.

Pffft, and Faztbullet said this was gonna be expensive! Hah! :p

Learned a LOT today! Even from just the drawings in the parts catalogue. I can only imagine how much I'd learn from the manual.

Edit: Forgot to mention! Things looked pretty mint inside the intake cover which was a pleasant change of pace, hah

How much would you sell one of the tilt and trim for... looks like they will fit a evinrude 1980 150hp

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pffft, and Faztbullet said this was gonna be expensive! Hah!
Ha!!! You havent even seen if you can get spark as timer base may be bad and if they have enough compression to run (no starter). You havent found a control box or lower units yet..... and the list of expenses get longer. Bad thing is even if you get them together and running you may have more in them than what they will bring as these can be bought for $1000-2000 running.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Awww come on now. Don't be hard on the guy. Let him play and have fun with these motors. If he shops right, he can find the parts he needs without sacrificing his first born child for them.

CptAJ, look in the "Top Secret File" in this forum and look for the salvage yards in there. The first thing I would do, is get a used starter and do a compression test on all three of the motors. This will tell you if they are worth fixing or not. You want the compression to be as close as possible, on all six cylinders.
You can also get a fairly good visual on the pistons and cylinders, by removing the intake bypass covers and exhaust covers. This way, you can see if there is any visible scoring on any of the pistons or cylinders.
If things don't look good, then you can always part these motors out and get some cash out of the parts.

Oh.....wait. sunwest is already hittin you up for parts. :p

CptAJ

Cadet

How much would you sell one of the tilt and trim for... looks like they will fit a evinrude 1980 150hp

You willing to pay shipping from Venezuela? :p

I know this doesn't make A LOT of economical sense, guys. Don't worry. I'm just doing it for the ****s and giggles. I really do want to learn this stuff and I have 3 V6 engines I don't have to worry about ****ing up, free of charge. How much would that education cost otherwise? Take it easy, I won't go on a spending spree unless it makes sense. I'm not gonna put in more money than the running engines are worth, you think I'm crazy? Or even worse... rich? :rolleyes:

Faztbullet, you ARE giving good advice, man. And I hear ya! Don't worry, I know the pitfalls of restoration. I won't let you down :cool:

Zephyr, I definitely plan on getting junk parts from all over the place. My mechanic buddy will handle that. I probably won't be buying much of anything new, really. Sadly those salvage yards wont help me much being in Venezuela. I gotta salvage locally. Shouldn't be too hard. Lots of these motors gathering dirt around the country. (Did I mention one of these was lying in a ditch under the rain?)

UPDATE: The previous owner found the VRO tanks! Lucky break =)

emoney

Commander

First thing I'd do is break down and buy a Service Manual. I know you're hoping someone emails one to you, but you're burning daylight over $30 or so. Just a thought. Probably not a bad idea to find one starter before doing anything else so you can check compression on all 3. You may be focusing on "a" & "b" to find out that "c" has the best comp #s. It would sure save you a lot of "why didn't I"'s down the road.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

CptAJ

Cadet

You're absolutely right. It's the whole shipping affair that gets me about the manual. Importing stuff to Venezuela is not easy. There's a foreign exchange blockade thingie that makes you have to do everything through overpriced and complicated black market services.

Is there anywhere I can buy a digital version of the OMC one? I hear the Seloc manuals suck.

Also, you're right about discriminating C without testing compression. But I guess I'll keep playing around until I can find the starter.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Good man. It sounds like these motors are common in your area. That's a big help and the fact that you have a salvage yard close by. Venezuela huh? Wow, that's a ways off. Yea, I would search for a downloadable shop manual, if you can. That will save you bucks for shipping.

CptAJ

Cadet

Progress report!

Put some more elbow grease into the motors. I installed the VRO pump from C onto B. I also took the rectifier and did the same.

As I put the rectifier in, I was pondering which motor was going to get priority here. I only have one powerpack bracket base thingie.

I examined A and it's missing some of the external linkage stuff, namely the part that connects it to the plate (which btw I cant find in the parts catalogue). I can lift it from C though, which I think is complete. Also missing are the 6 coils from A and C. So I looked at B as a possible "favorite" since it had the bracket AND the complete linkage.... however, upon opening the intake manifold cover so look around, I noticed that the "spring action" that returns the linkage to idle doesn't return without my help. A does return to idle upon release. I compared the two motors side by side and didn't notice anything that could be causing it. Ideas?

As it stands, A was looking to be the favorite so I went ahead and removed the coils and powerpack bracket from B and installed them on A.

I have 2 starter solenoids available but I'm not sure if they're in operating order. I need to compare them with the drawings and see. (Any way to test them? Like hotwiring them maybe?)

Parts list (Now for a single motor, A):
* Starter motor x 1
* Power pack x 1
* Lower unit x 1

That's just the stuff I've noticed so far. I'm sure there's more stuff missing. Feel free to suggest what I should check up on next. I plan on trying to assemble a full acceleration linkage on A next time I work on it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Use the powerhead that has the best compression.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Um just to chime in here, if you are not fimiliar with these motors I will be the one to tell you, save your money and get a 4 stroke. I have the same motor and the drink fuel like a sailor on shore leave!

For what you will invest in them for electronics and getting them running, you will spend in the first year on gas. Think 22.5 gallons an hour at WOT!!!! So what ever the price of gass is where you are, tines it by 22.5 and you have the amount it will cost you per hour of running.

No you can lie to yourself now and say you will only run it af half or three quarter throttle. I warn you, no you will not! Nothing sounds better that a 2 stroke running balls to the wall on a mice calm day on the water!!

Think long and hard about that.

CptAJ

Cadet

Hey j_k_bisson!

Gas in Venezuela is $0.06 per gallon or something like that. I don't even keep track of prices. I fill up my car with pocket change =P

Zephyr, I hear you! But what am I supposed to do? Just sit around till a starter shows up? Come on! I gotta keep my hands busy, man XD

mark1961

Ensign