Threadfin shad

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Threadfin shad

A few things do help.
Do not have more than a dozen in a five gallon bucket,add some ice to the water so their metabolism slows down.Do not put an air bubbler in the bucket,it makes them very uptight and they hurt themselves while racing in the bucket.
There is a O2 separator on the market that produces a rich oxigene mix in the water without noise or bulky gear in the bucket.
Always try to keep a lid on your bucket,it gives them the feeling of safe coverage from above.
Go back a few pages in this room because heycods and yours truly had a thread a while ago discussing this problem.It was called :"Live shad and dead fatheads"

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also be sure to use a round container or bucket. Coolers and box shaped devices with corners will cause them to bump their heads and knock themselves silly 'ta death.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

round container with a current...without a current, they bunch up & exhaust the oxygen supply in that little area where they all hang out.

water temp - don't let it drop below 75?

filter - got to filter the stuff they drop in the water out, also the amonia produced by the shad.

oxygenation - got to oxgenate the water - those fancy o2 tanks are nice but pricey.

water quality: if you use city water, add something that will neutralize the clorine. don't add ice, it has chlorine (unless you put it in plastic ziplock bags).

salt: add a handful of non-iodized salt

I built a shad tank out of a 19-gal plastic tub ($6 at walmart). a 200 GPH livewell pump attached to the outside near the bottom, discharge split, with half flowing into a filter (perforated box) with polyester pillow stuffing and activated charcoal (pet dept at walmart) and the other half flowing through a venturi to provide oxygen and current. Insulated with an emergency blanket (big sheet of mylar, 99? in the camping isle at walmart). Trailer side marker light for inside lighting. Paint the inside white, else they'll be hard to find inside.

From my experience, might as well release the ones that are gill-netted and those that fall to the floor of the boat, they won't last long in the tank.

something I learned the other day from my local fishing board: first put 'em in a cooler with lake water and a handful of non-iodized salt for a few minutes - they'll drop scales & go potty in there, then dipnet 'em into your tank. I'm going to try that next time.

baittank.jpg

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might try using a water conditioner like "Prime" it decloronates and makes tap water more palatable for the fish, also, try using a black colored container, it helps with some saltwater baitfish it might do the same with shad.