Thoughts & opinions about this motor deal

special_kaye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I've got a chance to re-power my classic 21' Answer with an '88 Suzuki 150 Super Six. I'll get to the price in a minute.

Here's the story: This engine was owned by the friend of the current owner. He bought a boat with intentions of fixing the floor and transom. Had the engine rebuilt first, then started the boat work. Boat work turned into to much work and current owner bought engine.

Engine was rebuilt and now has less than 50 hours on it. I don't know if there is an actual hour meter with it yet. I haven't seen it, but am supposed to go Saturday. Includes controls and gauges.

He wanted $1000 for it but is now down to $700. My thinking is, if the rebuild is true, and I think it is, this is a pretty much new motor for $700. Owner says compression is about 90psi all cylinders, which is consistent with a rebuild, but, I don't know what range the pressure should be in. I have a factory manual for my engine but it does not list compression values. I know about the 10% from the upper range, and will check it when I check out motor, but is 90psi compression okay? Or low?

Here's a kicker, or two. He also has a new CDI he'll throw in for free. Also, my current motor, that needs rebuilt, is a Suzuki DT200 and I think the starter, lower unit, trim/tilt, and many other parts are a cross match.

Give me your thoughts, is this a decent price for a rebuilt '88 Suzuki 150 Super Six with controls and gauges?