Thoughts on potential automated pitch calling in MLB

FLATHEAD

Captain
I’m not a big fan of the idea. I like the human element of the game. I like the no shift, pitch clock, limited pick off attempts and other new rules put in to place this year. Automated pitch calling would be a bit much for my liking. That said C.B. Bucknor called a Phillies Rangers game last week that was atrocious, real incompetence, worst I’ve seen. This guy is consistently bad. Maybe these umps should face mandatory training when they blow up a game like that. Pretty sure the ump union or MLB reviews every game.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The game of baseball should be to relax the mind !!------They are making it more like a video game.------These new rules are all nonsense in my opinion.----- Next thing is they will allow aluminum or carbon fiber bats.

FLATHEAD

Captain
The game of baseball should be to relax the mind !!------They are making it more like a video game.------These new rules are all nonsense in my opinion.----- Next thing is they will allow aluminum or carbon fiber bats.
I don't think they are all nonsense. The no shift equates to a lot more balls in play. The idea being it brings a bit of small ball back to the game. For that reason alone I doubt they will bring in alternative bats.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Bring on the robo-umps for pitch calling! The genie is out of the bottle... everyone watching a broadcast now can see whether a pitch is a ball or a strike, and it reveals exactly how inconsistent and inaccurate umps can be. There are few things that I find more aggravating than watching a close game and have it decided by an erroneous call. I've never understood the argument for staying with a system that is demonstrably inferior just for the sake of sentimentality.

I think the pitch clock and banning the shift are also good for the sport.

aspeck

Staff member
I like the shift ban and batter/pitcher clock. I also like the limited throws to first base ... makes it more strategic. But I am concerned about the robo-ump balls and strikes. I have often watched games from 2 different feeds simultaneously just to compare the electronic strike zone and they don't seem to match up. That makes me wonder where the strike zone will really be in a game. I know human umps are just as bad in that each one has a slightly different strike zone, so, I don't know ... just still like the human element.

aspeck

Staff member
They gotta change the location of the pitch clocks at PNC park … they are easily seen by the batters or the pitcher! There were a lot of “no pitch” balls and strived called in the Pirates home series with the Chicago White Sox this weekend! Yikes! And one second baseman called because his heel was touching the grass when a pitch was thrown.

Then there was the fight that ensued when O’Neil Cruz fractured his ankle on a play at home plate. Crazy game today!

FLATHEAD

Captain
The pitch clock is definitely giving some players a rough time. They are going to have to figure it out, I still like it. The no shift rule is already producing the wanted results. Lot more batters getting on base where it would have been a sure out with one side of the field stacked. One thing MLB needs to address is the time it takes to sort out challenges. It took almost 20 minutes to sort out a stolen base call during the Phillies reds game. Ridiculous! They can do better. The stadium and everyone watching the broadcast knew what happened within two minutes after watching the replay.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Started playing organized ball at age 8. Played high school, Legion and Double AA ball before women ended my career….lol

Don’t like any of the changes. Maybe good for spectators takes away a lot of the strategy.

Things like shifts only hurt players that can switch up.

As a catcher, a pitcher with a good pick off move was my best friend.

Automated pitch calls so-so. Part of the human experience. Get rid of the endless replays and move on with the game.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many human beings are now too occupied by TIME.-----They want everything now and in a hurry.----A baseball game takes time and is not over till it is over.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Baseball games in the 60’s and 70’s lasted about 2 hours 30 minutes. Before the new rule changes games were dragging out to more than 3 hours. A lot of folks don’t realize the new rules are to get the game back to where it probably should be. I can do without 40 minutes of players adjusting batting gloves after every pitch, digging dirt on the mound, shaking off every pitch in the book three times, walking around on the mound etc. Back in the day when MLB was king you didn’t have much of that.

RGrew176

Commander
Automated balls and strikes will probably happen some day. When you have umpires like Angel Hernandez calling strikes on balls a foot off the plate it's time to look at automated calls.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Automated balls and strikes will probably happen some day. When you have umpires like Angel Hernandez calling strikes on balls a foot off the plate it's time to look at automated calls.
He is arguably the worst in the majors. Followed closely by CB Bucknor. Cowboy Joe West was pretty bad but at least he had an on field persona that was a bit entertaining,, kinda.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
They already have automated line calls in tennis if requested. I have no problem with that.

To me the no shift rule is stupid...learn how to hit opposite field like Freddie Freeman does with the Dodgers. Nobody uses the shift on Freddie.

bassman284

Commander
I don't think they are all nonsense. The no shift equates to a lot more balls in play. The idea being it brings a bit of small ball back to the game. For that reason alone I doubt they will bring in alternative bats.
You could get a lot more balls in play by having the infielders sit cross-legged on the ground until the ball is hit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
^^^^ Good one.----How about the outfielders with a bit of lead in their shoes to slow them down !-----People do not like changes to a tradition sport like baseball.----But I agree some of these umpires must be blinking their eyes too often.----And the league / owners themselves cannot manipulate outcomes of games as they can now.-----Money does not just talk, it screams.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
And the league / owners themselves cannot manipulate outcomes of games as they can now.
Say what?

Hopefully, you mean putting good players on the field but I am guessing some conspiracy theory.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You could get a lot more balls in play by having the infielders sit cross-legged on the ground until the ball is hit.
Isn't that the truth. I see the shift as good defense. Batters need to adapt. More balls in play equates to stage racing in NASCAR. Both are supposed to generate more excitement. Not a fan of either...

FLATHEAD

Captain
As the season progresses it has become apparent the pitch clock rule was not thought through all the way. I still like the idea of it but I’m starting to dislike all the confusion around it. If they can’t get it figured out so there is absolute consistency with all umpires they need to rethink it.

aspeck

Staff member
As the season progresses it has become apparent the pitch clock rule was not thought through all the way. I still like the idea of it but I’m starting to dislike all the confusion around it. If they can’t get it figured out so there is absolute consistency with all umpires they need to rethink it.
I haven't seen much confusion with it, but I only watch 1 or maybe 2 games a week. I like it.