Thoughts on a Rinker 212?

bunger

Cadet
I’ve been searching for a used 20’ (ish) bow rider for over a year, trying to find a good combination between power, price, and space on the boat... preferring something newer than 2003, but not much beyond 2007 or so due to budget (around $14-$15k).

i had primarily been looking at Four Winns 200... but came across a Rinker 212 a while back and liked its layout and space for the size of boat it was. That one didn’t pan out but I just found this one:

https://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/2005-rinker-212-captiva/6653283408.html

the things I am struggling with are mostly engine and value related.

I had ideally wanted a 5.0 MPI (or better) in whatever boat I finally found, but this one is carbureted. The Rinker brand is also not quite as nice as some of the others as evidenced by little things like no pop-up cleats, etc.

while the price is attractive, I worry that if I wanted to sell it in a few years I might have a little more difficulty due to it being carbureted.

what is everyone’s thoughts in general regarding the boat and carb vs injected?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
nothing wrong with a carbureted motor..... in fact it will give you less fits than an EFI. I prefer a carb over EFI in a boat. EFI in a boat is a compromise due to the wet environment (way too many concessions regarding operation vs longevity)

EFI is great......until it isnt.....and you spend many B.O.A.T units fixing it.

price is a bit high, however its due to the time of year. same boat in 6 weeks will be $2k less

alldodge

Staff member
I would take a 20+ year old boat that was taken care of over a 5 year old that was not. Looks mean nothing and there is no issue with a carb. Most boat owners don't know how to care for a boat and only do things after things break. I do like fuel injected boats for several reasons, and if you can work on one, look for one. If you will have others do maintenance, or will do your self the easy stuff, go for the carb

bunger

Cadet
I would take a 20+ year old boat that was taken care of over a 5 year old that was not. Looks mean nothing and there is no issue with a carb. Most boat owners don't know how to care for a boat and only do things after things break. I do like fuel injected boats for several reasons, and if you can work on one, look for one. If you will have others do maintenance, or will do your self the easy stuff, go for the carb

I called the marina that has serviced the boat since new... they rave about the owner and started reading off everything they’ve done to it from the service records. For something like 125 hrs, it was well cared for.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't get a warm fuzzy about marina's servicing boats. They can be good and bad, and there is no way of telling until something goes wrong. Hang around hear long enough and you will understand what I'm saying.

The boat could be one of the best there is, just saying, don't pin your self down to a no older then a certain year. You can get a great boat for much less if your willing to look.

But that said, if you don't know what your looking at, guess you need to take others word for it being a good one

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rinker makes a solid boat. I'd prefer the MPI (for the added horsepower), but that 5.0 should push that boat just fine. I had a 206 Captiva with a 4.3 and it ran great. I did have carburetor issues and needed to get it rebuilt. But honestly I got 10 years of service without a worry. As far as trim... just add on what you want. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rinker. That said I think they are high for that 2005 model.

jkust

Rear Admiral
My take in this. Sure Rinker is a lower end boat but not because it has no popup up cleats. You get what looks to be a lot of boat for a lot less money so it seems like it evens out. As for MPI, I am much harsher on this. No MPI is a non starter. My previous but newer boat was a carbed boat aND after 8 years moved to an mpi boat and it is superior in many ways. I don't care about what it costs the day something finally goes wrong, I accept that stuff eventually breaks.

bunger

Cadet
My take in this. Sure Rinker is a lower end boat but not because it has no popup up cleats. You get what looks to be a lot of boat for a lot less money so it seems like it evens out. As for MPI, I am much harsher on this. No MPI is a non starter. My previous but newer boat was a carbed boat aND after 8 years moved to an mpi boat and it is superior in many ways. I don't care about what it costs the day something finally goes wrong, I accept that stuff eventually breaks.

This is pretty much the direction I was thinking as well...

jkust

Rear Admiral
This is pretty much the direction I was thinking as well...

I'm not a diy guy...i'm a pay for the marina to come to my house and work on the boat at my dock on my lift if needed. It is 2018 not 2002 (the year MPI came out with small block Mercruisers) so a non MPI engine this far along is simply unacceptable for any price. The last things of mine that have a carb are my riding lawnmower, my push mowers and my snowblowers and I hate them all.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wouldn't go near a carb boat, but I live at high altitude, and after a lifetime of poor fuel metering, I prefer fuel injection.
Find a Sea Ray 200 Sundeck.