Thoughts and Prayers Requested

ehenry

Commander
Re: Thoughts and Prayers Requested

Pop got up twice on his own lastnight to get to the bathroom. Now he's sitting in the chair in the room, eating a good breakfast, reading the wall street journal and watching the news. He's informed the staff at the hospital that he's done with the "DAMN DIAPERS" that his underwear is what he'll be wearing from now on.

This is sounding more like the man I know and love. If any of yall care to see the man look up my "Veterans History Project" post and watch the interview one of the local news chanels did with him last year.

southkogs

Staff member

Kinda' funny how relieving it is to hear the "old man" bellowing about ...

Glad to hear things are shaping up.

ehenry

Commander

Pop has been moved to the Methodist Rehab Center to start P/T. He will not have to go in to a swing bed facility. A therapist is siuppose to come to the folks house to evaluate it and let us know what things we will need to install for Pop. Things like grab bars around the toilet and such as that.

Things are looking up.

aspeck

Staff member

Way cool news. Still praying.

ehenry

Commander

What a man ! Taken this morning

photo_zpsea110e32.jpg

ehenry

Commander

Not bad fo a 94 year old......Here a small funny.

When Pop made it to his room at UMC several of the nurses were there to get him settled in to the bed and such. When they let me in the room they asked if I had all his dentures and such. I had to ask them what they meant. They replied that at his age, he had to have some form of dental appliance....dentures or bridges. When I told them that he still had ALL his teeth they couldnt believe it and called all the other nurses in to come see the 94 year old guy that still had all his teeth.......I thought it was funny anyway

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^^ That is funny. Congrats to him though! He does look great for 94.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to hear he's doing so well. My mom is 87 and fell last year and broke her left wrist. She healed just fine. She said she was glad it was here left wrist because she bowls right handed. BTW she has all her teeth too.

ehenry

Commander

They are going to release Pop to come home barring any complications 2/12 which is this coming Tuesday.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for my dad. My sisters and I really appreciate it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's great news!!

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Those WWII Vets don't give up easily.

God Bless him and all the family.

ehenry this may sound weird but my WWII Vet Dad got into his early eighties and got hit with dementia/alzheimers, pretty much starved himself to death. Not a pleasant experience. I tell everyone I know with elderly parents that the longer they live still able to function the more chance they have to go gently into the great beyond in their sleep instead of ........

southkogs

Staff member

Awesome. Glad to hear the good news.

ehenry

Commander

Here is an up date for those of you that are interested.......Pop has been home a little over two weeks now and doing fairly well. He as pretty much learned his limitations concerning what he physically can and cannot do. The physical therapists have released him. However, His mental state has been not so good...he is very easily confused and unable to complete simple tasks such as using the phone.

Yesterday he had a geriatric dr's appt and we mentioned his mental state to the doctor and what was going on with him. The doctor told us that as we age, our brain shrinks and the space in our skulls is replaced with fluid. In the type accident that Pop had it entirely possible he suffered a concusion and the symptoms are just now showing themselves. While at the hospital pop was able the answer the questions typically asked of someone thats suffered a concusion when he was checked during the night. I was there when they were asking him. Today, though he seems to be doing really good. I went out and shaved him and his thoughts were clear and he was grumping about the woman that we have staying with them doing the cooking and such. He claims....and I quote.... "Damn woman cant cook and cooks crap I never cared for like asparagus and broccoli" I had to tell him to tell the woman what you like and I bet ya the cooking will improve. He said "I reckon I'll have to"

Got a report from a neighborhood spy that he was walking up and down the street investigating the installation of a new natrual gas line and talking to the guys doing the work.......he's coming around to being his old self. Just hope he doesnt over do it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sounds encouraging. :cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Continued best wishes to you all.