This makes you paranoid about your winterization technique.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
This is never what you want to see.

On facebook there is a quote from someone, I have no way to verify this at all.

"It's my Family's boat. They had recently winterized it a couple weeks prior to this happening. Marine max is going through boat but hasn't said how it happened yet??"

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
My guess.......... who ever "winterized it" drained the block, did not tighten the transom plug/bolt properly, leak/leak sink sink

oldjeep

Admiral
It really doesn't make me paranoid. Damn hard to sink a boat in my garage ;)

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Winterized boats don't sink 'round here,...

The water is much to Hard,....

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
My guess.......... who ever "winterized it" drained the block, did not tighten the transom plug/bolt properly, leak/leak sink sink

My bet - that boat has no seacock between the water inlet from the out drive to the water pump. They probably didn't correctly secure the inlet hose and down she went...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
When I winterize a boat, ALL the plugs are left out and the hoses disconnected. Engine, water pump, bilge. She would sink in a hurry if someone didn't realize that and splashed her!

NYBo

Admiral
"Winterized" but still in the water? Doesn't make a lot of sense to this Northerner.

Failed through-hull fitting, hose, drain plug... Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

tpenfield

Staff member
It will be on CL next week stating its attributes and the fact that it has been professionally cleaned. :thumb:

Jeep Man

Commander
The worse thing that can happen to mine this year is a really heavy wind ripping the tarp off.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
paranoid...no, justified.... I constantly warn people of risky practices and am sometimes called paranoid but events like this PROVE you can't be too careful...

That said maybe I need to put a couple extra pumps in my boat so it can't sink this winter.... I'm gonna be PISSED if they come on and soak me as I walk between my boat and my car tho....LOL

thumpar

Admiral
I don't see why this comes down to winterization. It could be but not my first guess as to why it sunk. Mine is a trailer queen in the garage so not likely to sink.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I don't see why this comes down to winterization. It could be but not my first guess as to why it sunk. Mine is a trailer queen in the garage so not likely to sink.

If they had it winterized 2 weeks prior, it seems logical that something went wrong/came undone, the pumps kept up for a bit, the batteries died and down she went. I know my bilge can keep up with 1 inlet completely open letting water in, the question is how long will the battery last. Who knows though, all speculation.

My second guess is that someone had to much of a loan left on it and a good insurance policy.

43 foot formula is an awfully nice boat to see sunk though.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
"My second guess is that someone had to much of a loan left on it and a good insurance policy."

:eek: good call.......... now the finger pointing starts........and we all pay for it

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't think it's uncommon at Lake of the Ozarks. In fact, I thought I remembered hearing about problems when an ice storm caused a bunch of covered slips to collapse last year, dunking the boats that were left on the water. (Many boaters keep their rigs on lifts, since that lake gets so choppy from all the traffic. I think keeping boats out year-round isn't unusual down there.)

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
This one either. Is that common practice at those latitudes?

Very few people pull their boats during the winters here. The lakes usually don't freeze to the point that agitators can't keep up (last year being an exception).

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think it's uncommon at Lake of the Ozarks. In fact, I thought I remembered hearing about problems when an ice storm caused a bunch of covered slips to collapse last year, dunking the boats that were left on the water. (Many boaters keep their rigs on lifts, since that lake gets so choppy from all the traffic. I think keeping boats out year-round isn't unusual down there.)

Multiple Ice storms over the years have taken down a lot of boats for sure. I've personally climbed on the roofs of a docks to push the snow off. Always make sure your neighbors boat is taller :)

Last year the winter was so cold that the entire lake froze which happens only every 10 years or so. Then one week it warmed up to 60 degrees with 40 - 50 MPH winds. Huge sheets of ice were pushed all around the lake as it broke up, ripping docks off the shores or shoving them up. A friends dock got ripped off its anchors and was floating around the lake with his boat on a lift in it!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
sounds like a heck of an argument to PULL THE BOAT... jus sayin.... a 10% chance of damage is WAY too high for me to sleep on.