This brought tears to my eyes with fond memories!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Building snow gots as a kid used to tunnel in the snow banks all the time now most parents don't let their kids do that or how bout tobogganing without a helmet

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy I do wish I had all them baseball cards back, that I used to swipe my Mom's cloth's pin for, so that I could make my bike sound like a motorcycle! And watch out, every once in a while we got a hold of a deck of cards!

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Did that with a deck of old cards for my gf kids they thought it was the coolest thing ever

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Wow, this is making me feel old, but also happy. The house I grew up in had a coal chute door in the basement wall, no longer used by the time I was born but we had a milk box built into the wall next to the back door, the milk man would open the outside one and place "glass bottles" in and mom would open the inside one and bring them into the kitchen. I also remember the guy with the knife sharpener cart coming down the street, it had a bell that rang as it moved summoning all the housewife's. We had a black and white tv with rabbit ears but that was severely limited because we were ordered outside to go play, at dusk we came in bruised, bloody and muddy, took a bath (not a shower) and went to bed. And no air conditioning.
"THOSE WERE THE DAYS" :)

southkogs

Staff member
... We ate while watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom ...
Marlon Perkins and Jim Folwer ... Thanks man, I gotta' find some of those to watch with the kids!!

... but we had a milk box built into the wall next to the back door, the milk man would open the outside one and place "glass bottles" in and mom would open the inside one and bring them into the kitchen...
We had one of those when I was a kid. When I bought my first house in Detroit it had one too ... you'd have thought I won the lottery when I found the thing in the landing :D

This is a fun thread to read. Thanks guys!

dwco5051

Commander
Every house had milk boxes on the porch in the neighborhood I lived in as a young kid. Every one of us had a pup tent since WWII shelter halves could be bought at the surplus store for a couple of bucks. We would go into the woods and camp out often even as preteens. The big thing was to write a note that said ?one quart chocolate? and leave it in someone?s box and then retrieve the bottle before they got up and pass it around and drink it for breakfast.

However none of us ended up spending the rest of our lives in prison. Of my closest friends one grew up to be a county judge, one a dentist, another became vice president of Sears, another a partner in the most prestigious law firm in Pittsburgh.

64osby

Admiral
Charles Chip (potato chips) delivered to the porch in a big tin.

Sunday dinner was at 2 with the Grand Parents, supper was later that night.

Going off with your friends for hours back in the woods, swamps and streams, catching frogs, snakes, crawdads and what ever else we could get our hands on.

Dad waking us us to watch the Apollo moon landing on the B & W tv.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
We had one of those when I was a kid. When I bought my first house in Detroit it had one too ... you'd have thought I won the lottery when I found the thing in the landing :D

Ours was in the landing too, just inside the back door at the top of the basement steps then 3 steps up into the house, this was where the coat and key hooks were and boots, hats shoes etc.

After the milk man delivery days ended my big brother and his friends got the bright idea to put a coffee can loaded with M-80's into the milk box one summer afternoon. I remember hiding behind a tree in the next door neighbors front yard thinking oh boy are they going to be in trouble. Unfortunately for them our stay at home Mom was in the kitchen talking on the wall mounted dial telephone with the long cord. Also unfortunately for them they over estimated how many M-80's were needed.

Needless to say their was a very loud boom, both doors blew open and the first floor of the house was filled with smoke, good thing their was no air conditioning back then. Mom came running out the door and all the big kids ran like h**l leaving me to rat out my big brother. We still laugh about it 50 yrs. later.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
It's funny how every time I sit and talk with my older brother how the "good old days" keep flooding back. Only thing is we both seem to remember them differently.

southkogs

Staff member
Ours was in the landing too, just inside the back door at the top of the basement steps then 3 steps up into the house, this was where the coat and key hooks were and boots, hats shoes etc.
Yup! Same spot. Our outer door got covered over by siding so the inside door became a place to store the dog leash. We had to be satisfied tossing our M80s in the dumpsters.

... Mom was in the kitchen talking on the wall mounted dial telephone with the long cord...
I think we might have grown up in the same house ... that phone cord musta' been a mile long, 'cuz I can remember making it almost all the way into the living room from the kitchen :)

It's funny how every time I sit and talk with my older brother how the "good old days" keep flooding back. Only thing is we both seem to remember them differently.
My brother and must have teamed up more than we think we did ... he and I can remember stories together for hours on end, and just finish one another's sentences.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
My brother and I laugh all the time about the stuff we used to pull we torment my mother about how she used to break wooden spoons over our butts

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I was born in 71 and we had a party line until the eighties. Had to count the rings to know if it was for us. The original post brings back memories for even me because we are in the upper mid-west, not on the "Coasts". We still had all the things th OP stated including the B&W TV that signed off every night with the anthem and a prayer. I sometimes wonder what country we live in now, it is certainly different than the one I grew up in.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Back in the day..... There was this vase in grandma's living room.... It had cattails in it. My sister decided it would be funny to hit me with one....Then the fight started. Cattail fuzz hung bon every inch of the room... lol. Grandma comes in and screams OH MY GOD!..... We ran and did not go back for awhile..... LOL.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I was at my grandmother's house after watching indiana jones for the 100th time I convinced my cousin to pull me out on the clothesline needless to say it snapped and I fell and broke the clothesline my dad was laughing but my mom was pissed

82rude

Rear Admiral
I remember that 50 to 75 cents would get you the Saturday theater show ,plus lots left over for food and the likes.It was usually mayhem until the cartoon started!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When I first got my drivers license, I remember going on a date, which was some fuel in the car, normally a pizza dinner and a movie and normally did not spend over $10 for the night.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
We ate while watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom .. Always looked forward to that ..
We still joke about Marlin hiding behind a bush saying something like "I'll wait here and wait comfortably, while Jim wrestles that alligator".

I think my kids still think I'm joking when I say I almost never used the phone at the house (one phone, on a cord, in the kitchen), because I had 4 older sisters...

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I remember my room consisting of a bed an alarm clock dresser and a couple of toys not like today my kids can't believe we didn't have tvs in our rooms and only one tv