Thinking of buying 50hp outboard

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, Found a 93 50hp johnson. Looks in great shape. Guy wants 1500, no controls. Seems like a decent deal from what I've found so far. Any thoughts????

batman62

Recruit
Re: Thinking of buying 50hp outboard

Go to the NADA web-site & check the price. It seems high to me, especially without controls. NADA puts 93 OMC 50hp at about 700.00 to 900.00. I just bought a 93 Evinrude 48hp (its identical to 50hp, I think they are oil injected which brings the hp down a bit) for $700.00. If you wind up buying it I have a complete set of controls I can sell you real cheap. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Going to Outboard Non-repair.

phatmanmike

Captain

sounds extremely pricey. you should be able to get that thing for around 800 ish. for 1500 you should get controls, prop, and rigging. its noly a 2 cylinder, why the 1500?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not too pricey for my area.<br /><br />A good 10 year old 15hp would cost you $800 around here.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree with roscoe.....<br /><br />We see lots of motors of the 50hp size around here go for $1500, thats just the way it is here though.<br /><br />Although we also can get REALLY nice 30-40 year old small motors for $100.<br /><br />AntsGrady, check the papers and places near you, that will give the best estimate of what is realistic in your area.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

If it hasn't been run in salt and is from the north country(where motors only get 4-6 months of use), it sounds fair to me.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

$500.00 to $600.00 without controls, in average condition. It's 13 years old and at that age you need to worry about what's going to fail as soon as you start using it. Having said that...It is worth exactly what YOU are willing to pay for it.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys.....I'm really debating. It was on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4594740103&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT <br /><br />I also found an 85 with controls for the same price so I was thinkin maybe this was good. Don't know if its been run through salt water. I have to call the guy and get the hours and maintenance etc...I'll find out today!!!

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Things to consider:<br /><br />There's no way an engine that age looks that good unless it's been repainted.<br /><br />What's "good compression" for that 50 hp? Sounds vague?<br /><br />The lower unit has been changed...from hitting something?<br /><br />The oil injection was removed...because it failed and caused problems? Who's going to come out and say it did?<br /><br />You cannot hear or see it run...so how "smooth" is it?<br /><br /><br />It's your money...but I wouldn't.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I didn't do it. I guess when it comes down to it there are a lot of reasons. 1 being I could not hear it run and thats a big one and 2 the price was just to high i'm thinkin. So I'll be keepin my eyes open. Thanks guys. You reinforced what i was thinkin!!!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My thoughts! You deserve something nice!! You owe it to yourself by just living in N.J. Buy yourself a brand new merc or yamaha 50, 2 stroke. Will cost a few bucks but you will know what you have and can take care of it properly. Know telling what you can get when you buy it sight unseen. <br /> Have a 50 merc 3 cyl, CLASSIC, used almost daily. Flushed after each use like a religion. Perfect motor and would buy another one. New yamaha would be nice to. <br /> Am sure everyone here will agree that you deserve a new motor! Right guys? You anywhere around OLD BRIDGE? regards fred

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wish but that is just to much money. The boat is only used for crabbing and the occasional bay use. I'm acutally in somerset.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Don't worry, Ol' Fred's buyin'! ;) Pick a nice shiny new one and send him the bill! ;)

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, Soliciting a sale is srictrly prohibited, on this board.<br /><br />If you want to sell, take out an add here, on iboats.