think I smoked my engine

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1994 Monterey 230 Deck boat, with a 4.3l 6 cyl. I went through some silt and did not realize my engine was not getting any water to cool it. Started to pull a tube and was losing power. Stopped boat and smoke was pouring from engine bay. I thought it was on fire. doused with extinguisher and hear water boiling and temp. gauge was peg at 250. I let cool down till gauge read under 200 and tried to start. Engine did turn over but failed to start.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, where are you with it now? Running, not running? Water mixing with oil? blown head gasket? Melted wiring harness?

ChrisinPHX

Seaman
You may have damaged it, maybe not. Agree with Augoose that more info past the initial problem is needed. Remember that there are automotive versions of your engine out there that don't even open the T-stat until 210. A lot of car issues force the engine to be overheated at least once. So you didn't necessarily do permanent damage. A melted harness and the silt ruining your impeller are highly probable though, but easily fixed.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
as of now at marina and will be looked at Monday. I will keep you informed

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I think the need to use a fire extinguisher is indicative of serious damage.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hopefully the smoke (or steam) was created due to a bit of melted plastic or rubber from the wiring harness or from old oil dripped on the surface of the engine that became heated.

Hopefully it won't be that bad and you will get some good news.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Smoke from an overheat like that is usually from the rubber exhaust hoses that connect the exhaust risers with the Y pipe. The shop should remove the risers and inspect the rubber hoses, replace if needed and
Remove the roasted exhaust flappers if this engine came with them (if not melted on the pivot shaft they might be at the bottom of the Y pipe). Volvo had a service bulletin stating they should not be re installed.
The rest, check comp, check for water in cyls and in oil. Good luck. I had this same issue and got 2 more seasons before it blew the head gaskets.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
It curently has a 4.3l v-6, with a volvo dual prop out drive. Since I am looking at replacing engine, could a v8, 5.7l work or do I need to stay with the 4.3l

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
So far we have several wiring harnesses destroyed. Still don't know if engine is good or bad. hopping to know more Thursday.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
So far we have several wiring harnesses destroyed. Still don't know if engine is good or bad. hopping to know more Thursday.

They can rig it to turn over to check compression and do a leakdown test without doing much/any work. I hope you are not paying for everything to get fixed just to see if it will start.