Thermostat Housing Bolt Broke 1987 85 HP Force Any Suggestions?

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello:<br /><br />Thanks for everyones help on walking me through dropping the lower unit and replacing the waterpump. Everything seems to be A-OK with the waterflow, but I did run into a thermostat problem.<br /><br />My housing has 4 screws. The bottom one on the right broke off. I drilled through the bolt and put an easy out on it. When turing the easy out with a wrench that broke off too. I tried drilling that out but absolutely no luck.<br /><br />I smoothed it out by lightly tapping it with a hammer, gave up and then just used the 3 bolts that weren't broke to install the housing over the new thermostat, grommet and gasket.<br /><br />I fired the boat up on muffs to check my waterpump job, let it idle for at least 15 minutes and the the water flow was strong and no leaks around the thermostat housing.<br /><br />Am I OK? Leave it alone or pull that thing what I believe is called some type of head and get another?<br /><br />Suggestions Please.

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thermostat Housing Bolt Broke 1987 85 HP Force Any Suggestions?

Well youve just found out why alot of mechanics wont work on old engines.Salt water,aluminium & stainless steel mixed together & a bit of time you have CORROSION.Use your motor as it is but keep an eye on the housing for water leaks.To get the screw out you may be able to cut a slot with a small cutting disc( on a dremel or similar) thru the easy out & the bolt & after using penetrating oil & lots of heat get it out with an impact screwdriver.If that doesnt work drill a series of small holes around the easy out & try to get it out then drill the bolt out & re tap it.If you cant do this work take it to a machineshop that can.It will be a lot cheaper than a new head!!! :rolleyes:

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sharkcat- Thanks for the reply.<br /><br />Like I said I ran it for about 15 minutes on the muffs. I didn't notice any water leaks. I made sure the new bolts (3) were very tight and the gasket seamed to seal tight.<br /><br />My final question would be - Do you recommend putting any type of sealant or similar agent into the exposed screw hole to close it up?<br /><br />When you look into the screw hole on the housing you see the broken off bolt. I did manage to tap it tight to the block (its smooth) so the gasket would seat propery.<br /><br />Still wondering if I would maybe JB Weld it or similar.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your reply.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I would have used some sealer on the gasket being only three bolts were holding it.I would leave well enough alone right now if it is not leaking.Just keep an eye on it.Good luck!!!