The wealth of info here saved my arse yesterday

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Me, the wifey, and the kiddo spent the day on the lake yesterday on our "new to us" 2006 Larson Ski and Fish with the 4.3 Volvo Penta. We had spent several hours jumping from cove to cove raising and lowering the drive and sneaking in with the trolling motor. Toward the end of the fishing time we decided to go over to the larger side of the lake and I went to trim the drive down and nothing when I hot the switch. So I tried the other switch and still nothing. So at that point I checked all of my fuses and all were good. I pulled the relays and looked at them and even swapped them, still nothing. I disconnected the two trolling motor batteries and tried each of them in place of the cranking battery thinking maybe it was a low voltage issue - still no luck. So after about an hour of trying everything and starting to get very concerned, I jumped on Iboats and searched. I came across a thread where it showed the big RED button, a 50 amp breaker on top of my engine. That got me back underway and I had a happy family again. So just wanted to once again show my appreciation for a wonderful site/service we have here.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: The wealth of info here saved my arse yesterday

I see you have the big red easy button.
Once only available from Staples, iboats now makes it available.

images

Good thing you didn't hit this one:

panic-button.jpg

I don't have an easy button.
I have this:

hard-button.png

I would like and easy button, but would settle for this:

not-so-easy-button.jpg

I need to get one of these, too.

images

Glad all worked out.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:) Thanks

Downforce6

Seaman

HA!

You are correct about all the info. I have this big red button as well, I guess I knew what it was but when I don't have any power... I'll think of this post.

I also purchased one of those portable "Jump Start" battery packs friday nite. I had installed a amp and a couple of 4 way 6x9s on the boat this winter and had worried about running the battery dead, I don't have any trolling or extra batteries to hook onto if she runs dead. Cheap piece of mind really.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HA!

You are correct about all the info. I have this big red button as well, I guess I knew what it was but when I don't have any power... I'll think of this post.

I also purchased one of those portable "Jump Start" battery packs friday nite. I had installed a amp and a couple of 4 way 6x9s on the boat this winter and had worried about running the battery dead, I don't have any trolling or extra batteries to hook onto if she runs dead. Cheap piece of mind really.

The odd thing was I still had power to everything, even to start the engine. The only thing that lost power was the trim. And I think I will be purchasing one of those portable jump start packs as well. I use the trolling motor pretty heavy so you never you when I might just run down all three batteries. I run on a pretty large lake and like yesterday, I was way back in the far end of the lake down several small coves where nobody would have came across me for probably a day or two. I would have been SOL had I not figured it out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You were lucky you had a 2005 engine and drive, and not a 2006. (Boat year and engine/drive year are not always the same) because a real 2006 engine use fuses/breakers in a fuse box on the engine itself. No red button.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You were lucky you had a 2005 engine and drive, and not a 2006. (Boat year and engine/drive year are not always the same) because a real 2006 engine use fuses/breakers in a fuse box on the engine itself. No red button.

Interesting! With that said, had there been that setup as opposed to a hidden "red button" I might not have sat there for over an hour playing doctor with my boat. I mean, fuses/breakers were the first thing I checked for... :) LOL

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, OP, which thread did you find your info in? I'd like to read up on this...thanks!

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tony, You're gonna have to search for it as I did. Sorry, I didn't bookmark it.

Don S

An owners manual from Volvo is what you needed. It shows where all the breakers and fuses are.

Go to the link below and type in your full model number and serial number and you can download it to your computer. Free.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An owners manual from Volvo is what you needed. It shows where all the breakers and fuses are.

Go to the link below and type in your full model number and serial number and you can download it to your computer. Free.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Funny thing though, I have all the manuals (including the owners manual) that the boat came with new and read through it looking for something I was missing and never seen anything in there about that reset button. I read through all the manuals again tonight and still couldn't find it. Heck I even watched the CD that came with the boat (useless) lol

Don S

What's your engines model number (all of it) or the serial number?

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to get that info tomorrow evening. I'm now sitting on the couch in my boxers fixin to hit the sack shortly. I know, I know... too much info! haha

UncleWillie

Captain

Resetting the breaker is one thing....

A 50 Amp breaker does not just open for the fun of annoying you.
It opened for a reason.
If you do not know the reason, it will likely be doing it again until you figure out the underlying cause.

The next time it does, think carefully about what happened just before you noticed it opened.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Resetting the breaker is one thing....

A 50 Amp breaker does not just open for the fun of annoying you.
It opened for a reason.
If you do not know the reason, it will likely be doing it again until you figure out the underlying cause.

The next time it does, think carefully about what happened just before you noticed it opened.

I was coming into the cove and jamming the radio a little louder than I should have so I was unable to hear that the trim had reached max top and had continued pressing the trim button a little too long. I'm pretty certain that is what caused it...

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Time will tell the tale though!

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, I totally spaced getting this info tonight. I came home to a honey do list and I also had to install my smart tabs this evening. I just now came in for the night (9:30Pm here) and I've not even eaten dinner yet. I leave on a business trip tomorrow and will be back Friday so I will get that info then. I know you are only trying to help me out here and I really appreciate your effort.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

My 50amp fuse last year while running at night for about 1 1/2 hours with everything on-stereo blasting , all lights,blower ,
it has not happened again.