The R?surrection of the SeaGem

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Ok Folks here I go again, Another project boat even though I haven't finished my last one :eek: She is a 1984 22' Cruisers Barnegat cuddy cabin
Here are some pics

100_8936.jpg

seagem4.jpg

seagem9.jpg

seagem10.jpg

OK so the out drive is bad, I started pulling it today going to order a new one, no big deal.
My 1st hurtle, the PO built in a refrigerator, stove top, sink and toilet All very nice BUT he did everything in Formica which some of it is now delaminating and the wood underneath it is swelling and rotting.
I personally have never used Formica on a boat, this is a real low budget restore, any thoughts on what to do for replacing things? do you think it would look bad if I did it all in ACX and varnished the heck out of everything, and would it last or should I try to match the Formica?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: The R?surrection of the SeaGem

The formica isn't the problem, it's the particle board it was attached to.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Very nice looking rig! Should be a fun restore!!
Is the deck/stringers/transom all good?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks boatflipper- yep I am really looking forward to this one

Hi ezmobee- I'm happy to hear that Formica is not a problem. Only some of the panels have de-laminated or started to. Believe it or not its plywood underneath the Formica, I'm thinking it was indoor cabinet grade. Although I did find some partial board, they made the box for the livewell out of melamine :eek: which I know I am going to have to totally remake. The Captans chair is actually mounted over the livewell. If you look at the wall for the cabin that is all laminated in Formica. I am just happy they left all the doors, hatches, and trim teak as well as the diving platform. Its just a matter of re-finishing those.
What do you think, should I try to match the formica and just replace the bad?

Luckily the deck, stringers and Transom seems to be solid, I will know for sure by sunday when I get the O.D. out

Friscoboater

Captain

I like that boat. I am watching this thread. We need loads of pictures!!! I am addicted to watching people build their boats.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you've got some good 'bones' to start with there- Hopefully the stringers, etc will be in good shape when you get into them.

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one that seems to stack up project boats :)

-Andrew

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The formica isn't the problem, it's the particle board it was attached to.

I couldn't agree more, I have built a lot of laminate (formica) tops and know that in a damp environment you should just use a nice BC plywood substrate with plenty of contact adhesive. Just make sure the surfaces to be glued are well covered with the adhesive and this will help prevent future delamination.

You can trim the stuff with a laminate bit with a bearing guide, the smooth any sharp edges with a fine wood file.
Also, make sure any seams and places where water could seep in are siliconed.

Rob

sprintst

Commander

Good for you to start another one. She'll be a nice big boat to enjoy when you're done.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like that boat. I am watching this thread. We need loads of pictures!!! I am addicted to watching people build their boats.

me too!
looking at pictures (and waiting for them to load), is part of my decompression every night.

Huron Angler

Admiral

HVAC great-looking rig to restore, don't worry...there are plenty of us who have taken on our second boat restoration before the first is complete:D

I personally believe it is the way of things...and I encourage it. Besides, if one boat is good...then more than one boat is great;)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
I agree with the other folks, Whatever sub straight you put the Formica on it needs to be sealed to prevent or limit the amount of moisture it can absorb.
Great looking boat.
Keep us posted.
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi All,
She is real solid I took some samples and came out with nothing but dry solid wood. This boat is 11 years newer than my other Cruiser I'm restoring, I can't believe how the quality in the fiberglass work went up with them Major difference.

I started her up yesterday, she runs good although its a 228Merc (305) not a 260 (350) like I was initially told :( . I was kinda hoping it was bad, I have a 350 375hp LT1 just sitting seeing its a closed system I was toying with the idea of dropping it in if it was bad :D

Well you guys convinced me, I am just going to replace the bad, instead of gutting the whole darn thing. I really didn't want to gut and completely replace everything to begin with.

Is silicone the best thing to seal the seems or is there something better?

I used to do cabinet and counter top work back in the day so I still have my laminate trimmers, rollers, heck I think I even have a bunch of the dowel sticks laying around, for the Formica work so that's a good start.

I am going to go do a survey after I get my billing done this morning and maybe start unbolting the seat pedestals. I have to take some pics to show but whats bad for the most part is they built basically furniture under and behind the co-pilots chair.The platform for the chair has a piano hinged lid, under the chair is the sink. Behind the back of the chair is the stove and fridge, with built in draws in between. It is really a cool layout very functional.
Under the captions chair is the live-well, I was happy to see the pump still works as it should. The box that houses it and the platform has to be completely redone, I think all the wood is shot.
I plan on getting started on the new boxes in my basement workshop this week.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Bill I found your new RESTO page...YEA!

wow that baby has about $500 alone worth of Stainless hardware on it..:D..the wood dont look too back on the steering wheel and shutters etc....might be a bit of a pain to replace that one missing shutter.

IS it now on a trailer? or on blocks in the yard?

cool that she started up and ran..:)..might wanna drain the carb if youre gonna tinker for 6 months on her...so ya dont hafta overhaul the carb when ya go to re start the motor etc

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill I found your new RESTO page...YEA!

wow that baby has about $500 alone worth of Stainless hardware on it..:D..the wood dont look too back on the steering wheel and shutters etc....might be a bit of a pain to replace that one missing shutter.

IS it now on a trailer? or on blocks in the yard?

cool that she started up and ran..:)..might wanna drain the carb if youre gonna tinker for 6 months on her...so ya dont hafta overhaul the carb when ya go to re start the motor etc

I think its not bad for $100. The stainless all looks pretty new :)
I was thinking of getting a piece of teak and making my own slat for the shutters, it looks easy to duplicate.

It's still on my trailer, I'm going to make a cradle with bunks to rest her on I hate it being on rollers, I don't like the concentrated load points with the rollers.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

yeah I hear ya on the roller bunks Im not much for those

going to see Avatar in 3d tonight, supposed to be real good...anyways have a good sunday Bill!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

HVAC Cruiser,
Great looking boat. I'll be looking forward to following you restore and seeing your progress.

vegasphotoman,
I'm not sure how Avatar will be in 3d but it was great as a normal movie.
I really liked it.
Bob

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hello there I have the same boat but older mine is a 1978, very solid boat run very good handle the ocean very good, same engine 228, you never going to get wet on that boat I been out on the ocean on 8 feet waves and dry, the only thing on mine is the side panels start rotting and the cabin door too, my hull outside is very clean wait until you wax yours, I have the opportunity to upgrade I bought a 1995 wellcraft without engine and outdrive I have a brand new outdrive for it and I will transfer my engine from my cruiser in to the wellcraft, but I know the wellcraft will never handle rough seas like that bernagat, good luck with that and keep the pics coming.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just had to poke my head into the shop door and say 'ELL-OOOOOO Guvna!

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new boat looks good. I am sure once we finally get some decent weather that it will come together quickly. Let me know when you plan on doing the outdrive so I can come over and learn how to do mine someday. Hope all is well.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looks to be a beauty HVAC, enjoy! The more boats ya have, the easier it is to say you have too much going on for yardwork/honey-do's and other such piddely things.....priorities :D