The Power Trim operates the Choke Solenoid. 1977 Evinrude 85HP

John Drew98

Seaman
I purchased a 1977 85 HP Evinrude and the Power Trim switch turns on the choke. It is connected to the screw on the far left of the electrical strip and goes to the choke solenoid. The Solenoid also works with a doorbell switch which was installed. I din not know the trim was activating the choke until I was working on it today.

Attachments

• Choke Connection.jpg
    Choke Connection.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wiring diagram can be found online.----Should be easy to correct this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Do you have power trim? If not maybe original choke button broke, and that was the workaround.

shrew

Lieutenant
Maybe the guy figured that the very first thing he does before he starts the motor is he lowers the drive. This would allow him to lower the drive and actuate the choke in one step.

John Drew98

Seaman
Maybe the guy figured that the very first thing he does before he starts the motor is he lowers the drive. This would allow him to lower the drive and actuate the choke in one step.
I like the way you think Shew! Very Possible.

John Drew98

Seaman
Do you have power trim? If not maybe original choke button broke, and that was the workaround.
I do have power trim and it looks like he found the first positive terminal and ran a wire from the terminal to the switch and then to the choke. There is another wire on that terminal which is probably the trim wire.