The getting creative thread got me thinking ......

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
I run a single 7.4 in my Formula and I prefer the confidence factor of an additional engine. However, I am not real fond of all the extra weight and maintenance. I thought about using a genset type setup connected by belt (think blower drive) to the harmonic balancer and using an AC type clutch to engage or disengage the unit.

If the main engine went down I could pull the plugs out and spin it with the genset to power the outdrive enough to get home on. I could also use the main engine to power the genset when I was running.

Still in the thinking stage on this one.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: The getting creative thread got me thinking ......

Ayuh,... If the 454 threw a rod, yer still up ship creek....

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I thought about that as well. However, I think the possibility of breakage in the actual driveline is pretty remote. Every time I've thrown a rod; I knew it was going to happen and just kept pushing. I also liked the idea of running the generator off the main engine while underway and then switching the clutch off as I turned the genset engine ignition on and letting it continue running even after I shut down the main.

Kind of like an emergency hybrid drive. I just wonder if the coupler should come off the front of the main engine or occur in the space behind between it and the outdrive. Coming off the front would certainly be the easiest.

BTW - When we ran big block Mopar a real hard win just finished and the engine locked up. We tore it down and the rods were welded to the crank. The swinging sump didn't swing and lost pressure in 3rd gear. Hit 4th for the win and shut her down. A swinging sump is an absolute must when carrying the front wheels for the first 2 gears. I also had an LS-7 in a Silverado that was real surprising. The pic isn't mine. But, it could be a clone.

Attachments

• 1969 RoadRunner.jpg
    1969 RoadRunner.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

As long as I didn't break the crank, I could clear the cylinder and still spin it with the genset anyway. Pulling the head would give me an extra anchor.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I'd have to mount the kicker on the swim platform and that would be ugly. If I posted it in the wrong place someone can move it for me. I won't be offended.

I was talking about using a blower drive belt assembly. Those kevlar belts should hold up fairly well with the low resistance of spinning a zero compression engine.

I also thought about using a dinghy on the platform. But, the thing would take up all the room.

haulnazz15

Captain

Yes, but 0=compression isn't 0-resistance. You are still turning all of the pistons + the outdrice which is hard to do even with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. The kevlar blower belts are designed to keep from shredding under the normal load of a single supercharger pulley, not the load of an engine's internals. You would need a chain-drive, and it would be an interesting setup to see how you fit a genset big enough to turn the engine/outdrive at a speed high enough to create propulsion anyway.

You'd have better luck with an electric trolling motor on a removable mount. It could be stored in the boat and quickly attached to a battery. You'd likely have 20-30 minutes of propulsion easily even on a low battery.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, but 0=compression isn't 0-resistance. You are still turning all of the pistons + the outdrice which is hard to do even with a breaker bar on the crank bolt.

Ayuh,... We're also powering the Boat ya know....

If it takes 100hp to turn the prop Normally,...
It'll Still take 100hp, Plus all this parasitic drag this way....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you even considered how or where you could hook this up to the engine or the drive? You do realize the engine may run at 4 to 5K rpm. How do you disconnect from the engine/drive when not needed.
The front of the crankshaft is not strong enough to deal with a pulley to spin the engine.
There is no room behind the engine unless you went to a jackshaft and moved the engine forward a foot or two. Who knows what that will do to balance of the boat.Then there is the cost of all this special built, one of a kind parts.
Sure would kill the room in the boat, probably look bad too. Much more expensive than a kicker bracket on the stern with a motor stored in the engine compartment.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I think everyone is right. While it may be possible to run a wing engine with a bat drive or something similar; it is not an economical solution. A better solution will be to mount a large Minn koto copilot trolling motor on the swim platform and run it by remote. The pontoon versions can be retracted vertically through the deck and left there. It might even make maneuvering in or out of a slip easier as I could drive from the bow and handle all the lines single-handed.

BTW - It takes longer to load this site on my phone than any other I go to.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BTW - It takes longer to load this site on my phone than any other I go to.

Maybe you need to put a kicker on your phone to speed it up. :)

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a better idea yet. Have you seen the trolling motors that attach to your outdrive/lower unit? I believe it is a Minn Kota product but not sure. You would be totally hidden and still have the backup.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I was just starting to look at them. I'll have to create a 24 or 36 volt dc circuit especially for them. They have a dual unit with 202 lbs of thrust. I think that might be useful when loading the boat as well. They also offer thrusters that connect to the trim tabs and can provide additional mobility due to the separation distance. Going to have to keep on thinking. I like the EMs because of steerage. I would also like to have the additional manueverability of the tab one.

I could get both and then file ch 13.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I'd go for the electric trolling motor idea (probably mounted on the trimtabs), combined with a small generator to keep things charged up. More or less your own electric hybrid drive train!

Might not plane your boat!, but it will move you at least.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The trim n troll from Minn Kota will be the answer. They offer an innovative remote with a return to center button that will bring you back to a straight course (not accounting for drift or current) even in mid turn. The design appears as though the motors would be out of the water while the boat is on plane and could turn the boat on it's own axis if needed. Besides, the digital readouts from my Bennetts are starting to freak out anyway.

sasto

Captain

Lenco trim tabs with trolling motors would be my first choice. Comes with reverse too.