the bulkhead came out in pieces how to construct new ?

ok now that the rot is dead! surface is preped, how do I measure the hull angle to cut out new bulkhead. there is nothing left of old part for pattern? thanks to any woodworkesr out there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: the bulkhead came out in pieces how to construct new ?

Make a new pattern from cardboard--cut and trial fit until correct then transfer to wood.

Bondo

Staff member

If you put a couple of String Lines up,...

You can measure off of them in whatever increments you Need to find the scope of the radius.......

The String lines Could represent the Square side, if the is 1,...
Or just a lineal reference point.....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bond-O. I've been meaning to ask Where is Chaumont. Go over to boating destinations and we can talk about my New York Years.

flashback

Captain

HI Dana, I use a method called a "tick stick". its quite accurate and easily done, just hard to explain..d:) but I'll give it a try.. is your bulk head 1 piece all the way across the boat or 2 pieces starboard and port with a companion way to the forward end? if two this will work easier but it can be done on a one piece also...temporarally fasten a 1x6 vertically from the keel to the cabin top in the same place the bulkhead goes. then sharpen the end of a 1x2 stick that is a little longer than half the beam of the boat at the bulkhead location..now lay the pointed stick across the 2x6 and place the pointed end against the hull. draw a line on the 2x6 where the 1x2 crosses it and put a mark on the 1x2 where it intersects the edge of the 1x6.. and label them both 1.. move down the hull and 1x6 about an inch and repeat the process and label it 2. keep doing this until you have gone down to the keel.. you can now remove the 1x6 and transfer the tic marks to a sheet of plywood (or cardboard if you dont trust yourself the first time).. anyway I hope you get the process, it really works well and it is easy to do...

thanks to all of you. I used franks cardboard idea and it worked like a champ very very easy