THE best boat flooring

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not sure if anyone else knows of this, especially those not in the south, but I went to a boat show and saw this product and fell in love! I'm about to change the flooring in my boat, and am choosing this over carpet or bed-liner type material ANY DAY! The guy I talked to is a professional fishing and hunting guide. He put this product in HIS guide boat, and swears by it. It's lowered the temperature of the walking surface (for those who fish barefooted) and his live-well, has made stained carpet a thing of the past, no more scratched painted floors. This product, according to him, doesn't fade, dull, stain or get hot (in south Louisiana, you HAVE to have a way to protect your feet in a boat other than wearing shoes). He says he's had everything on this material from ducks innards, deer entrails, fish guts and scales, blood...and it all just hoses off. If anyone else has used this, I'd be interested in hearing what y'all think.

BFC Marine Inc - Hydroturf

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: THE best boat flooring

The best is a matter of opinion.

The best VALUE in sheet goods deck finish would be Nautolex marine deck vinyl.

Hydroturf = $83 for a 42"x60" piece

Nautolex = $19 for 36"x72" that can be bought in varying lengths @ 72" wide.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nautolex can be bought at lots of online retailers. Shipping from 1 vendor may make the total more or less then another vendor and the total cost from 1 vendor to me may be significantly different then to you from the same vendor. Defender usually has the best per SqFt price

johng952

Recruit
I removed and replaced all the carpet on my 1997 Monark pro 1900 with the tan marideck vinyl flooring. It was a very big job. I worked on it every night after work for 3-5 hours and at least 20 hours on the weekends.I finished the job in 6 weeks and it looks great but I used weldwood contact cement on everything with no problems on 95% of it but in a couple spots the vinyl started to wrinkle in the sun even 4 weeks after it was installed. I called weldwood and was told that the glue was gassing off with gluing vinyl to aluminum neither material is porous and the vapor needs a way to escape thus creating the wrinkles but it will get better with time. I finished the boat the end of oct. 2014 and put it in storage for the winter and it wont be out in the sun until next April giving the glue about another 5 months too dry. The person that I talked to at weldwood thought that I shouldn't have any problems by then. Has anyone used the weldwood contact cement having the same problem and did it get better with time or might it be a lifelong problem in the sun

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Did you use a J-Roller to Roll the vinyl during application? Did you use a heavy coating or light coating? Did you apply the adhesive to both the deck and the vinyl? Did you let it "Dry to Touch" before you layed it down?

johng952

Recruit
I did roll everything. I put it on maybe a bit thick if anything and some spots might have been a bit tacky because I did both sides in one piece that was 3' x 19' long and I wanted some time to work with it. Like I said there is 2 small 12"x24" spots that wrinkled in the sun

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah well if it's still tacky then it can take a while to fully cure and the hot sun can and will make it bubble and boil. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine next season. You might use a heat gun and the J-Roller and go over the problem area again in the Spring.