the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

barato2

Commander
Re: the 1967 Holiday 18 and Multiple Boat Syndrome

i should be working on the house, but what do i do? that's right, work on the boat! :embarassed:

first pic is sort of a parable: if you add LEDs to your dash (to indicate when the float switch has kicked the bilge pump on) and then epoxy em in place, you want to be REAL careful with the thin flimsy wires hanging off the back of them. break one and you're having to do this:

P1010241.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
with the Dremel so you can replace it

other than that, i got the ceiling panels rough-screwed in place (still need to trim the foam a bit more and re-epoxy around the drilled holes)
P1010243.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010242.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the alum bar is hiding/supporting the edge (where the oak panel gives way to the birch) of the panels and will eventually be screwed in with more substantial hardware....i just use the #4 stuff for test fitting

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

House work... meh... :heh: It's way more fun to hang out in a dark little boat cave.

So B2 you should pop the hatch, you can you get more light in there for the pic I need to see how your hatch latches down and those prop bars attach. I was thinking of not using the original slotted bars and opt for SS hatch springs. :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Water - More light! What a sneaky way to check out the hinges. latches and support. Love it! :D

B2 - The under foredeck is turning into quite the formal salon. How much thickness have you added with the foam and wood covering? It is looking nice.

Now clean up the house and look like you're working on it instead! lol

barato2

Commander

OK, y’all knew it was coming. Yes! Another installment of Murphy and the Three Stooges (me, myself, and I) Try to Restore Boats (or, as it’s sometimes known, “reassuring Newbs that not everyone here does the incredible work of Glen, Bluefin, Willy, Grandad, and the other Gods o’ Tin but the boat will still likely float”)(please excuse that I failed to mention everyone)

silliness aside, we hired help to make the house look presentable for EOTSKU and actually worked on the boat this last weekend. Perfect weather here for working 24/7 if my aging carcass could do it....lows in low 50s, highs in mid 80s.

Got after bending the bow rail sections. Unsurprisingly, my efforts didn’t come out as well as Glen’s. Understatement aside, they look like buzzard poop. Here they are on the driveway:

P1010245.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and here in place:

P1010250-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I learned that not only should I NOT quit my day job in favor of bending up boat railings, but the Evil iBoats Competitor from whom I ordered my boat cover lied. No, it does NOT fit over a 24" high bow rail. So this week, I’ll try to cut the rail down to 16-18" high and see if I can 1) hide my Bending Transgressions in the course of cutting things down; and 2) get the cover to fit with rail in place.

Water---i'll shoot some decent pix of that area tonight. i need to replace one of the bars myself as it was MIA when boat arrived.

GA--about 4", down to about 1/4" below the bottom of forward crossmember. wait til you see it with the chandelier (LED string) and carpeting in place.....

Last edited:

Watermann

Hey I could see myself in your rail bending prowess so I decided to delete them. Another reason is they were missing. :lol:

Thanks for thinking of me in my and my hardwareless hatch. I'm pondering either some gas shocks or spring hatch props for the hatch but I do need to understand the latch set up as equipped by the factory so I can get something close to workable on mine. I do have 2 of the original slotted hatch props though that I'll have no use for if I go the other route. So...

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

B2, I can't criticize your bending skills because I am not sure I could do any better either. But at least if that is what buzzard poop looks like then I certainly learned something new. :lol: So with that being said good luck on shortening them up and hopefully your cover will fit like expected.

dozerII

Admiral

I think they look pretty good B2, being up so high makes them all the more difficult to bend cuz even a little error in bend depth or rotation can cause havoc. I didn't mention I was in the muffler business for over 20 years bending custom exhaust did I;) Be careful shortening them up cuz it will make drastic changes to the length and angle on the rear tube where it connects to the deck.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

not bad at all B2! I was an electrician in a former life...complex bends on conduit takes alot of practice!

It actually looks much better mounted...although it feels like those vertical pieces want to be angled like this: / / / :noidea:

barato2

Commander

now i feel better about how much better y'all's rails came out than mine did.

we've been having dust storms to 55+ mph here lately, which has put a slight damper on outdoor boat work, but i got the rail cut down and bending tweaked to where it looks tolerable....worst problem is that "point" of rail doesn't line up with point of bow. got pix but left camera home, so manana.

Watermann--got you pix of the hatch too but tomorrow on that as well. basically, the "latch", such as there is, just consists of the slot in support bar lining up with "dimple" on framing for hatch, so that when hatch is closed, the dimple snaps into the slot. not sure yet whether it's ingenious and lightweight, or just cheap.

Watermann

Thanks for taking a look, I would say cheap. :lol: