That's what i'm talking about...

silverfox441

Seaman
Pitt lake BC. Largest tidal lake in North America. You can beach the boat just about anywhere, water depth around rock faces is like 10m.
Lake is mostly glacier fed and the view is breathtaking.
This IS life!

Attachments

• Photo0158.jpg
    Photo0158.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0160.jpg
    Photo0160.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0166.jpg
    Photo0166.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0164.jpg
    Photo0164.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0167.jpg
    Photo0167.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: That's what i'm talking about...

Wow. That is some amazing scenery. That wake shot is awesome.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Beautiful area, beautiful scenery. What is the water temp there?

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I might have to visit there....how far from Vancouver?

silverfox441

Seaman

I think I might have to visit there....how far from Vancouver?

I launch near Vancouver Airport and it takes me about 50 min at 35ish mp/h. You can launch directly at the lake but it's a bit tricky finding the park if you are not familiar with the area.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome lake and scenery silverfox. Thanks for sharing those pics.

southkogs

Staff member

Beautiful. I'd love to get up there someday. Thanks for posting.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you launch there and head up the fraser? That sounds awesome

Triton II

Commander

Gorgeous looking scenery Silverfox! Does it freeze in winter?

TII

silverfox441

Seaman

So you launch there and head up the fraser? That sounds awesome

That's right, the Fraser up to the Portman bridge then hang left up Pitt river then Pitt Lake. Fraser is a pain in the butt because of the flotting logs and especialy the ones lurking underwater. I've struck snags twice so far, scary.

Edit: what i'm saying is people have jet boats or stainless props here otherwise you will be changing props every second day!

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds awesome.....it's on my list for next year unless the weather holds out for a few more weeks here. Gotta be pretty cool going through Vancouver and then under the port man with all the construction going on....guess i'll have to make sure to carry a spare prop and nut set (which i do anyway)...anywhere to camp onshore or is it mostly just a day trip thing?

silverfox441

Seaman

Sounds awesome.....it's on my list for next year unless the weather holds out for a few more weeks here. Gotta be pretty cool going through Vancouver and then under the port man with all the construction going on....guess i'll have to make sure to carry a spare prop and nut set (which i do anyway)...anywhere to camp onshore or is it mostly just a day trip thing?

You will be welcome here, lots of boaters from the Great US of A! They say we are more laid back.
Hate to disapoint you but you don't go thrue Vancouver on the Fraser. The river is to the south of the city, sitting on the north edge of Vancouver airport, wich is in Richmond (Am'i making sense??). But you can to Vancouver from the Fraser if you go out on the Staight of Georgia. The waters in front of the city does not connect with the Fraser but you do have access to Indian Arm wich is an other great place to boat.

As for camping onshore of Pitt Lake, you will find tons of sites for this purpose. The place on the picture where my boat is beached is called Osprey Creek North Marine Park. There is a bunch of flat grounds for tents and trails going in the woods/mountain. A word of caution: There are bears and cougars in the region, though you don't here about a whole lot of incidents.
Here: http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/explore/vancouver/fraser_valley/pitt.htm

You right about the Port Mann bridge, plus i live right next to it, on the south shore! I know there is a ramp beside the bridge on the north side but i store my boat (for free!) at the airport where i work. one time after work, me and a co-worker just took the boat i went to Pitt Lake and we came back in the evening. Beautiful sun set and i will remember the smell of wild flowers on the Pitt River the rest of my life!

silverfox441

Seaman

Same here! :)

TII
I have worked with the RAAF in my Air Force days, we shared the same type of fighters (F/A-18) and i had a blast with them guys! (Todie is pie die!) Quite a bit of Aussies living here by the way. As a matter of fact i had to deal with a guy from around Brisbane the other day. He's been here 30 Years!
I would love to go to Australia one day. It's on the back burner...

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahhh...gotcha.....I finally looked at a map. :rolleyes:

looks like i could also put in around the massey tunnel...i think i saw a marina by there the other day....not sure if there's a launch there. i thought if i headed under the lions gate bridge that would take me there but now i see that it doesn't.

i'll have to do some research on boat launches in the area...i get up there for work every couple weeks. i'll have to bring the boat and spend the weekend sometime. :D

silverfox441

Seaman

Ahhh...gotcha.....I finally looked at a map. :rolleyes:

looks like i could also put in around the massey tunnel...i think i saw a marina by there the other day....not sure if there's a launch there. i thought if i headed under the lions gate bridge that would take me there but now i see that it doesn't.

i'll have to do some research on boat launches in the area...i get up there for work every couple weeks. i'll have to bring the boat and spend the weekend sometime. :D

Oh, i have a chart with all the boat launches, give me some time i'll post that for ya today.

silverfox441

Seaman

Alright, here we go: the marine close to the tunnel is Captains cove marina at 604-946-1244.
they have fuel, repair, restaurant, store, electricity, guest dock and pumping. No ramp, but there is one right close west of it called Deas slough ramp. No fees, all tide, good paved, escellent pitch, protected, plenty parking. link ; http://captainscovemarina.ca/ and http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=23&pos=0

South Ricmond you have: Stevenston Harbour Authority docks and ramp. 604-272-5539. They have fuel, electricity and pumping.
the ramp: fees, all tides, excellent concrete, excellent pitch, plenty parking. There is another ramp very close by but it sucks:
London Landing Ramp, no fees, med to high tides only, rough pave, narrow poor pitch, limited parking, no big boats. link ;
http://www.stevestonharbour.com/SHA_Site/Welcome.html

Further east in Delta, along River Road, you have the Bridge View Marine ramp: fees, all tides, rough pave, narrow, good pitch, not protected, limited parking. It's right across the street from the Bridge View marina. But there is ALOT of traffic on that strecht of road and it's not the best ramp you can find. Link for the marina
http://www.bridgeviewmarina.ca/about.html

All of these have access to South Arm Fraser River wich in turn connects to the Fraser River proper.

On the Fraser: North of the Airport, the one i use now, McDonald Beach Park: fess, all tides, protected, excellent paved/concrete, good pitch, plenty parking.
More details: 3 ramps, 2 big docks, faucet to rince your motor, no crime (that i know of). link: http://www.richmond.ca/parksrec/ptc/waterfront.htm

Further east, next to the Pattullo Bridge, south side: Brownsville Bar ramp: fees, all tides, good concrete, very good pitch, single lane/ dock, plenty parking (park and pay at the camp ground across the street) large boat not recomended, close at 10 pm. The dock is in need of repair... link:
http://www.sharphooks.com/search.aspx?subpage=hotelinfo&hotelid=2660

Now the Port Mann Bridge, north shore: Maquabeak Park ramp, fees, all tides, excellent pave, wide, very good pitch, plenty parking, protected.
For what i have seen: only one ramp, dock is very slanted so it gets very short during high tide, plus i have seen boats waiting in line in the water for recovery during week ends. interesting link: http://www.metrovancouver.org/servi...ts/water/Pages/PortMannWaterSupplyTunnel.aspx

In Pitt Meadows, NE of the Pitt Meadows Airport, at the 'corner' of the Aloutte River and Pitt River: Pitt Meadows Marina and ramp, 604-465-7713. They have fuel, repair, store, electricity. The ramp: fees, all tides, excellent pave, very good pitch, wide, protected, plenty of parking. Link:
http://marinas.com/view/marina/12349_Pitt_Meadows_Marina_BC

And now, tatatataaaaaaa: Pitt lake/Fox Reach you have the Grand Narrows ramp with fees, all tide, excellent pave, very good pitch, wide, protected, plenty parking.
I go there but not to launch. It's a provincial park and they rent kayaks and canoos, they organize expeditions ect.. There is one large and one narrow ramp with lots of docking area. But, and i say but, during nice week ends, it gets freakin crazy at the ramp with lots of ginos (look at me types) with flashy truck/trailer/boat. it's pretty quiet otherwise. Another but: i have heard of some criminal stuff there like a guy got his truck/trailer stolen. Here is a link: http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/GrantNarrows01.html and another ; http://www.findfamilyfun.com/grantnarrows.htm

Hope this help.

Al.

Pictures: Bridge View, Deas Slough, McDonald Park, Pattullo Bridge, Pitt Lake

Attachments

• Bridge View.jpg
    Bridge View.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Deas Slough.jpg
    Deas Slough.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • McDonald Park.jpg
    McDonald Park.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pattullo Bridge.jpg
    Pattullo Bridge.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Pitt Lake.jpg
    Pitt Lake.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

Triton II

Commander

I have worked with the RAAF in my Air Force days, we shared the same type of fighters (F/A-18) and i had a blast with them guys! (Todie is pie die!) Quite a bit of Aussies living here by the way. As a matter of fact i had to deal with a guy from around Brisbane the other day. He's been here 30 Years!
I would love to go to Australia one day. It's on the back burner...

Ah, pay day! :)

TII