That big hog was bogus!

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just heard on the radio that big 1000 pound hog shot by an 11-year old boy was named Fred and had been in the woods for 4 days.

I don't know what kind of lessons his old man is trying to teach him about hunting, but I want no part of it.

Jinx

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: That big hog was bogus!

Oh, ok. Someone's pet pig that was just turned out 4 days prior.

jinx

I stand corrected if they thought it was wild. The way it was presented on the radio it sounded like it was turned out to be hunted.

Jinx

Edit: Looks like we were both right. The hunter and his dad did not realize it was farm raised. The "hunt" club released it 4 days earlier to be killed.

Not my kind of hunting.

bassman284

Commander

I would have thought the size would have been a clue.

ricksrster

Commander

Still a lot of pig. Get out the chainsaw. Load it in the truck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmmm. Bacon rashers 6" wide and 23" long.:eek: What sort of eggs would go with that?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The largest chicken egg on record was nearly 12 oz, measuring 12 1/4" around. :eek:

jinx

Bet that hen squawked.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

You know the dad does say that they had no idea that the hog was tame. Let me ask you a quick question. How many fathers that take their kid hunting would hand him a 50 caliber pistol to use? I've shot a 50 cal desert eagle and at my 250 pounds that bad boy thumped me well. The boy's 11 and he shot it 8 times and then tracked it for 3 hours or 3 miles (I can't remember which but either is a long time) and then shot it point blank? Nah, I didn't think so either........

waterinthefuel

Commander

In the kids defense, he wasn't the average size 11 year old. I don't weigh as much as he does and i'm 27.

aspeck

Staff member

Hmmmmmm. Bacon rashers 6" wide and 23" long.:eek: What sort of eggs would go with that?

I'll take 2 ostrich eggs, over easy, with that bacon! Yum! But it sounds like enough to feed a family of 5 for a couple days!

Now, let me get this story straight, the hog is true, the story is true, but it is bogus?

The hunting preserve bought the pig from the farmer (not a pet) and released it in an enclosed area. Then the father paid to hunt the pig, but he didn't know it wasn't a "tame" pig. And he gives the 11 year old "farm raised kid" a .50 cal pistol (that will knock a grown man backwards) to hunt with. The kid is so inexperienced with the weapon that he can't make a clean kill, even after, what 8 attempts? And they track a wounded animal for 3 hours.

Lot of "bad for hunting" press there. Certainly not a "fair chase" animal on a "fair chase" hunt. But some people like to pay to shoot at animals in an enclosure....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Again the media putting a twist on the bore not being as dangerous because it was farm raised. Geeesh...I would like to challange that reporter to take his camera and follow a large bore like that around. Even better have him corner that bore just to find out how tame he is. My experience is that you do not corner a 1,000lb+ bore without an escape.

I do agree that type of hunting is like fishing in a barrel, but it also has its good points as well. I would rather have inexperienced hunters that want a big trophy hunting in a designated area vs anyones backyard.

It could be possible that there is more to the story. Anyone with a .50cal will be loading their on loads. So is it possible the father made light loads for his son? If that is possible and a fact,,,,,,just might be why it took so many shots to take the rascal down.

Its not as easy to kill swine as some may think. I was about 6 when I witnessed my first slaughter of a 1,000lb hog. I watched my grandfather with a 12ga with a slug and put it between the hogs eyes. Of course the hog dropped. Then he hooked his workhorse up to the hind legs and pulled the hog to the slaughter house. He unhooked the hogs legs and put his horse back into the stall. The barn and slaughter house was about 100 yds apart. When we got back,,,,,,,the hog had got up and took off! We tracked the blood for about a half hour til we found it. A big arse hole between its eyes and it still got up and run. Maybe this is where the term hog tied came from,,,,,,,prevents your bacon from running off....