thanks to all !!

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice
my merc passed the compression and spark test... compression test ( rope only no gauge he had the gauge out, felt was not needed ) mechanic feels all 4 cylinders are about 135 psi... mechanic said motor was not used that much ( has all original components and are in great shape as well as the boat... everything original and solid !! now water pump, carbs replaced/rebuilt ..thanks again for answering my questions... learning alot ..great forum :)

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: thanks to all !!

Are you serious? Your ?mechanic? really told you that he can ?feel? that all 4 cylinders are at 135 psi by pulling the rope starter? It's as much accurate as putting your finger over the hole...

Seriously, you'll never ever be able to detect a deteriorating hole this way, like if one is 20 psi less than the other 'cause it overheat. Better change you mechanic...

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice

can anyone understand why this mechanic can pull a starter rope and give a guesstimate of the psi... he explained how even and uniform the outboard sounded and felt by pulling the rope a few timed ( slowly )... if there was a bad cylinder there would have been an irregular sound he would of detected... the 135psi was just a guess from him.... it is a valid point saumon brings up... i understand that... the mechanic could just tell i guess....:cool:

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can believe that someone who works on these engines can give a educated guess and be close but as for me I would trust a compression gauge to be more accurate.

Buy yourself a compression gauge and find out for sure. They don't cost that much.

Durwood

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice

thanks alot T.D.. he is not finished with the outboard... i will be there when he services the motor... i will ask for the gauge to be used...my gut says he is honest and knows what he is doing... he was very jacked up when he first looked at the boat.. his passion is old boat repairs....

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not mean to imply that he might be dishonest, just that in my opinion you would want to know exactly what the compression is for furture reference. I can stick my finger in hot water and tell you it is above 100 but below 212. Being good compression as far as worth buying the boat could be obtained his way but after the purchase it is hard to tell if there is cylinder is wearing or piston rings sticking if you dont have a solid number to compare it too.

Durwood

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

i stick my finger in the wind to get a feel of the rpm's at wot . :rolleyes:

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice

hey verado .... if you read ALL the posts..... fact is you can tell an outboards compression ... if good or bad... before digging deeper without the gauge... i am just sharing good news for myself.... the outboard is going to have a full service... BTW you cannot stick a finger in air... you can only point it...