Thanks for merc Info.

calboats

Seaman Apprentice
With what I learned here, I managed to find that the top two cyl. on my EX-115 6cyl. Merc. were set by the dealer just enough lean that they slowly overheated at top throttle. I replaced the fuel pump twice, the coil once, and wondered what the problem was. Water pump tested out good, all to no avail. Water cooling to the top two on a straight six, is critical, but that showed a good strong flow.

My NEW mechanic says that the top carb was set just enough lean that when at top throttle the top 2 cyl. ran too lean by just a touch -- not very obvious. However since I did not catch that -- over a couple summers of running, every time I did full throttle starts, or carried a heavier load, it leaned out the top two cyl, misfired a little bit more each time, till it finally did the damage.

I wondered why it idled great, but started to misfire at full throttle and cough a bit. Sometimes it would just stop dead at cruise speed !!! Then in a few minutes it woud restart and run great again, maybe no problems for the rest of the day. To recap, it stopped for the final time on a warm lake in August, three guys aboard, on a high speed yahoo! Got drug in by a passing boat, and that was it. Smoking exhaust, the whole bit !!

Got a new mech, who privately does motors only, he took the Merc in on a fresh 1989 Evinrude 50, he had -- and a few dollars more. Sooo that's it, will be changing over soon. Since the boat was rated for 25 to 80 hp anyhow, the 115 was a bit much. Transom was pretty submerged with the 115 on a setback & jackplate. Don't need to do 40 mph cruise, at too many gal/hr.

Thanks once again, Cal See Ya on the "Rude" page !!