thanks and new issues

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just want to thank everyone that helped me with my wireing issues everything is working great. it shifts like its suppose to now. and even cuts out like it should when coming to neutrel. i have a 1977 sea ray with a 233 mercruiser pre alpha outdrive. but now my issue is today when i took it out it ran hot up to 175 deg. i never went above 125 last year. last year i replaced the impeller so i know thats new but it could be possible. over the winter all i did was replace the shifter cable put new exhaughst shutters in (yes they are in right) replaced all the boots. i even took off the manifolds and risers they are new to. i had to replace the gaskets. the only thing i can think of is the thermostat or water pump. thanks agian for the help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: thanks and new issues

Ayuh,......

The Impeller would be My 1st Guess,..... T-Stat would be 2nd.....

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

3) Is the belt for the circulating pump tight?.....:confused:

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the belt is tight i checked that yesterday when i changed the oil. as much as i dont wat to im gonna pull the lower unit off today and check the impeller. if that is good then the thermostat.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you replaced the impeller last year, I would check the thermostat first myself. It is easier to get to and change. Just a thought. Also, did you replace at the end of the season last year? Was the old impeller broken up in pieces? If so, there may be some pieces stuck in the thermostat.

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i had had the boat running for an hour and it got to about 125 on the guage. now i know the guage isnt alway correct but this thing never went above 125 last summer. it is getting good circulation so i know its not the impeller. ok i found where the thermastat is suppose to be but its not there. now im off to get one. but what i dont understand is why didnt it get hot last year but now it is. why would it do that?

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive been working on this thing all day and cany figure it out. i had to order a thermastat i wont have it till tomorrow. but i just dont get why it never ran hot last summer but it ran hot last night. i check the water pump and it doesnt wabble no water leaking out the little hole on the bottom. the water is circulating good. could it of had an air pocket and not work its way out right away?

Bondo

Staff member

If you replaced the impeller last year, Just a thought. Also, did you replace at the end of the season last year? Was the old impeller broken up in pieces? If so, there may be some pieces stuck in the thermostat.

Ayuh,.....

Or between the Impeller pump,+ the T-Stat housing.....

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i replaced the impeller at the beginning of last summer. i run it all summer with no problems. what doesnt make sense is it runs cool on the hose but it ran hot in the water. im still looking at things but im running out of stuff to look at.

Coors

Captain

ok i had had the boat running for an hour and it got to about 125 on the guage. now i know the guage isnt alway correct but this thing never went above 125 last summer. it is getting good circulation so i know its not the impeller. ok i found where the thermastat is suppose to be but its not there. now im off to get one. but what i dont understand is why didnt it get hot last year but now it is. why would it do that?

Gauge erratic? Time to buy a gauge, or better yet, an infrared gauge, in order to see what is exactly the temp.

Bondo

Staff member

i replaced the impeller at the beginning of last summer.

Ayuh,.....

Was the Old 1 completely Intact,..??
If Not,...... Did you find ALL of the pieces,..??
Is there Sand, or Silt where you go Boating,..??

I'd probably Pull the lower unit,+ Check the Impeller......
Then backflush it from the T-Stat housing while the lower is off..........

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is what im thinking is to pule the lower unit off just to make sure i realy dont want to but i may have to. its suppose to be cold the next few day so it will have to wait. also im gonna need help because of my back i cant do it alone. its just wierd i fixed everything else that should have been fixed before and now i have a problem i never had. i think the fish gods are trying to tell me somthing. lol