Thank you, thank you

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hats off to the majority of the people in here:)!! A WEALTH of information literally at one's fingertips!!! Yes, boating is awesome!! Over the past 12 hours, I've been insulted:mad:but I move on from that, and I've gotten some terrific information from several people. FINALLY someone has been detailed about helping me test some components....WAY TO GO EZEKE AND JOE REEVES!! Thank you, thank you!!:) The information you two have been intensely detailed about is awesome!!! To answer a couple of questions you two had for me....my engine is.....1974 Evinrude 85hp V-4 cross flow 2 stroke (model #85493-B). Thanks joe for the detailed testing information for the rectifier. Mine is exactly how u describe it....triangular and just to the side of the terminal power strip. It has 3 wires...red, yellow w/white tracer and 3rd wire is yellow. My schematic doesn't clarify which wire is which but prevailiing common sense should tell that. I've been looking for automotive type #'s in terms of charging (looking for #s around 13.8-14.5 volts at battery, engine running) and I'm told I won't see that since I have a 3-5 amp stator. So I guess I won't see significant charging rates since the "alternator" on this engine is just not designed like that, which is fine. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything and need to worry about "dying" on the water cuz I used my radio, fish finder, vhf, etc.. too much. I don't have room to install a second battery unless I remove my remote oil tank, which I probably will have to since "wyld1" insultingly informed me I can't use it. So, on my stator/recitiier issue.....what voltage am I hunting for at the battery IF my ohms test should turn out ok? And lastly, my ONBOARD fuel cell is 24 gallons..to premix my oil (50:1 ratio), I just need to mix my gas BEFORE I pour it down the fill tube?? Is that correct?? Makes sense to me. I already have a hose/bulb assembly at the transom and I've already tested it to see if it works and it does:) I'll have to pump the chit out of it to get the "left over" fuel out of it.(Can't just take this tank out w/out pulling the floor up), then refill it with correct mix. Long and short...thank you all for your help/advise and I'll keep finishing up the boat and let u know how it goes. I do have pics of "before and after" that I"m preparing to share with everyone!! Hope u'll like them. Happy boating all!!:)

Chris

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thank you, thank you

Your unregulated rectifier is probably around 5 or 6 amps and can keep a large battery maintained if you don't use much for accessories. Once more V4 motors started using power tilt and trim they moved to 9 and 10 amp regulated and 35 amp systems are used a lot. You can put a water cooled regulated rectifier on your engine, but you will have to give up the lifting eye to do it.

The unregulated rectifier has no real limit on voltage, but a larger marine battery will act as a regulator. Don't be too alarmed if you see it reaching 16 volts at higher RPM, but remember that some accessories can't take the higher voltage.

If you trailer your boat, the trip from the gas station to the ramp will mix the oil and gas no matter how you introduce it.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Thank you, thank you

Excellent information....thank you!:) I'll keep it all fresh in mind. :)