(Texas) Previous owner didn't transfer title. How much of a issue is this?

chad711

Seaman
I just boat a bass boat today. The previous owner never transferred title. Which means he also didn't pay sales tax either. Now this isn't some shady deal I just ran into. He is a stand up guy, wife and kids and a police officer. He just plain didn't take care of the paper work.

Any way I plan to get this straightened out. He said he will go up to TPWD with me to see what we need to do. He knows he will need to pay his taxes too at that time. Any way since he didn't do this how much of a headache am I looking at here? It's a outboard motor btw.

Off topic, trailers do not have titles? Just the boat and motor?

Thanks for the help!

jbjennings

Captain
Re: (Texas) Previous owner didn't transfer title. How much of a issue is this?

In LA they will do a "double transfer" and you would pay his taxes and yours. Not a big deal, but you should call the DMV and explain what happened and ask them what all kind of paperwork you need before you get there. Be sure to talk to the one that actually knows what they're talking about. I know what you're thinking-----which one is it....... the answer----you'll never know until you get there.:D
JBJ

chad711

Seaman

ok so doesn't sound too hard. Thanks for the info. I was afraid he would need to contact previous owner and do the title transfer with him first and then me.

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am in Texas and had the same problem. What you will have to do is get the last titled owner to sign all the paper work over to you. As far at TPWD is concerned thats who owns the boat. I was very lucky the owner on the title to sign the papers really quick.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

As long as the guy you are buying it from is willing to work with you on it you should be fine.....its when they wont return your calls you are stuck trying to go back two owners to get things straightened out.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Texas requires separate titles for boat and outboard. I hope you two can find the previous owner....unless TPWD has softened their approach, you will have to find that person and start the title transfer there...it's a paper trail mess that foils many people. Trailers are not titled in Texas, but must be registered with your county...they must get their road tax and charge you for a plate and renewable registration sticker. I hope the original owner is close at hand and cooperative...if not, I'd ask for a refund unless you plan to use the boat only on private lakes.

chad711

Seaman

I spoke with him today. He has full intentions of getting this done. He is a stand up guy.

I called TPWD today. They said he will need to get the title in his name and pay his taxes first and then I can get it in mine. So he needs to do this first which sucks. They can expidite it in 5-7 days for a small fee.

Why does he need to find the previous owner? He has the title's and the sales agreement they both signed. All he needs is this to pay taxes and do the transfer correct? I don't understand why he would need the prevous owner?

EDIT: I called them again they said I just need the two forms filled out and the titles signed over from previous owner to me. He does not need to come in.