testing Yamaha ignition voltage

KEW

Cadet
Re: testing Yamaha ignition voltage

Wed. is the next opportunity I have to work on this. I'll post an update then. Thanks for all your help.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

You might want to try disconnecting the kill switch ground in case corrosion is causing a partial or intermittent connection in the switch.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hey ray<br /> its odd that he has low voltage on the pulsers as well as the charge coils with the wires dissconnected from the pack. its almost inconcievable to have a simultaneous trigger and stator failure on a c115. unless saltwater got them maybe.that was why I suggested he practice with that meter on a known good system.<br />without looking at it myself I am almost out of suggestions.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Anything is possible, but that would really go against the odds. I have fixed too many blown (so said the sevicer) CDI's by replacing battteries or finding harness or ground problems, Fortunately I don't have to contend with the saltwater stuff. You and my son in Florida can have all of it. Even though as cold as it is here, he is likely to have some supervisory help soon. Trying to trouble shoot the electrical system is tough enough with a manual.My experience on the stator and charge coils is that if they ohmed right they were right. They are just coils not like a cap or other electronic parts.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Ray<br /> its cold here tonight. 28 now and will be 21 or so by morning<br /><br /> I am ready to move to venezuela. fish with the monkeys and drink fresh pina coladas made with fresh coconuts, pineapples and good venezuelan rum :) <br />thats been most of my experience with charge and pulser coils. if they test correct with an ohmeter they normally test ok for voltage output. OMC quick start excluded :) :) <br /> KEW <br /> are you sure this is a peak reading voltmeter ?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Hear you on the moving South. Our high was 26 yesterday and low was 10 last night. Up to 12 this morning. Getting the motor home serviced today. Have to go North to Evansville soon for an awards banquet and going straight SOUTH from there. May load up my porting tools and a few blocks and stay until Spring. Even though it is doubtful my wife will allow that much time in the warmth.

KEW

Cadet

Here's what I have...<br /><br /> http://www.esitest.com/cart/530.html <br /><br />If you do a search on this number 91-99750A1 on the internet you come up with the Mercury DVA meter. These look exactly alike.<br /><br />So either, I have a bad meter, I'm not reading the scale properly, not testing them properly or have bad parts.<br /><br />I have all 8 wires from coils to cdi disconnected. I also disconnected the 2 green wires to rectifier. So its just coils, no harness, no cdi kill switch wires, nothing else. I connect (+) to brown, (-) to red, set scale to 200, looking for 160, spin the engine by jumping the solenoid, I get 50v. Same thing blue (+) to black/red(-). On the pulser I'm looking for 2.5, it barely moves on the 20 scale so I set it to 2. It reads about .4v. I would expect the meter to be pegged all the way on the 2 scale if I actually got 2.5v.<br /><br />What would be the indication that the battery may be a problem? It seems to spin pretty fast. What about the wiring between the coil pickups and the ring connectors that connect to cdi? They are enclosed in a black cover. Is there any possibility that there is a break somewhere under the cover? While testing resistance I moved those around quite a bit looking for a change in the reading but no change. The pulser wires get flexed a little every time the throttle is moved. Is it worth cutting that cover off for a closer inspection?<br /><br />I'll be back at it tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Don't cut the cover off. Try hooking a charger to the battery, making sure it is fully charged and leaving it hooked up while you spin it over. The V-6 runs a lower voltage than 160 on the premix motors, but the pulser stays at 2.5v. If the voltage comes up, then you have a battery or starter problem. Most likely suspect would be the battery.

KEW

Cadet

Its FIXED!!! Went and picked up a used cdi ($170). Gave it a test spin and I got spark. Hooked everything up and it fired right up. Talk about barking up the wrong tree with the stator! But that was the logical place to start. I am starting to think this new meter aint right. With the engine running I still show 50v on low speed charge and no volts out from cdi to ignition coil primary. ESI says to send it back and they will test it.<br /><br />Rodbolt/Ray--- have you seen cdi units do a slow gradual death before like this? <br /><br />Now I've got a new key switch, starter, cdi, new plug caps, compression in 118 range on all cylinder, plus I know all grounds, wiring harness, and batteries are good. I'm hoping I should be good to go for a while.<br /><br />I appreciate all your help with this.<br /><br />KEW

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes<br /> on the rare occasions they die sometimes its difficult cause they will work while testing and not othertimes.<br /> its not always a hard failure. but that is why I started distrusting your meter readings. the odds of a stator and trigger failure are high. thats why I kept asking you to test the meter on a known good engine. at about 60v peak the coils will no longer fire. the CDI does not amplify it just rectifies and passes it on. we have a saying of " garbage in garbage out"

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

So seldom does the CDI fail at all, it is one of the last things to fault. Any electronic device can intermitently fail. There would have to be a problem with your meter readings since they gave readings that said the CDI could not fire. The running engine says clearly they are wrong. Congratulations on getting this problem solved.

KEW

Cadet

I was reluctant to buy parts blindly without knowing the problem. And I was digressing away from diagnosing the engine to diagnosing the meter. Based on your confidence that both coils were unlikely to fail I took the chance and bought the part. Worse case I'd have a backup if I was wrong. But it worked out. Thank God, this thing wrecked my fishing season last year. Hopefully this post will help other people with similar problem in the future. Thanks again.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> next time take my advice and buy a CD-77 meter. they work on almost anything with an ign coil once you learn how the system works, they are incredibly rugged and very accurate,plus they will test negative as well as positive voltages without having to reverse the leads :) <br />glad ya found hat problem. i still think your meter is wrong or used incorrectly.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

CD-77 is a great meter. For about 1/2 the cost you can buy the digital meter adapter from Rapair/CDI for around $49. It plugs into a digital meter and reads out the peak voltage using the DC volt display. It can be purchased online thru www.precisionmfgsales.com