Testing Starter Relay on No Start

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm working on a 2005 Yamaha 150 4 stroke that is not starting. When the key is turned there is a click coming from the starter relay. Checking power at the relay, I have power going in but when the key is turned, there doesn't appear to have any power going out. I just want to verify that you think this is a bad relay before I start replacing things.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have voltage on the starter relay coil, and incoming voltage on the starter relay and no outgoing voltage. The relay contacts are probably bad

alldodge

Staff member
It's not clear that your measuring the coil side or the contact side. The relay coil side will be ground on one side and 12V when key is turned on the other. It will also be smaller wires

The contact side will have 12V full time key on or off. The other side will go to the starter, and will be powered when key is turned to start

Pic for reference only
SPDT Relay.png

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, the contact side always has 12V, and the other side, I was not able to see any voltage when the key was turned to start.

Thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, the contact side always has 12V, and the other side, I was not able to see any voltage when the key was turned to start.

Thank you!
Did you see voltage on the coil side?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Take the relay off. Then test it properly across it. Should likely show about 80ohms give or take…if it’s the type I’m thinking of. What you’re testing there likely isn’t conclusive. Without knowing more details perhaps