Testing compression on a 1958 Evinrude Bit Twin

I'm new to outboards, so when I went to check the compression on my cheaply aquired 35hp Big Twin I expected the worst.

First test upper cylider = 30lbs?
Secons Test (same cylinder) = 30lbs?

I stepped back and took a breath. There was no way I was sold a parts motor.

Being new to these enginse, I reexamined it. Ahah!

The Pin conected to the SS flat bar was relieving the compresion (making it easier to start under normal conditions.

I disconected the arm from the release vaulves.

Second test w/out presure release valves in effect:90+ psi, the second cylider read 100+

All tests were run cold and I lubed the interiors with Blast.

Any insight would be apreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Testing compression on a 1958 Evinrude Bit Twin

Seafoam the cylinders, it'll help remove carbon from piston rings and could very well increase compression, mine jumped +25psi.
I used the spraycan type, removed sparkplugs and gave it a good blast all around the walls, then let it soak a while and ran it on a water hose.

If the water pump has not been replaced in 2 yrs do that

then put it in the water and see if it goes, running it on a hose with muffs will tell you if it starts but not much else.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jones... I did not think you could run that motor on muffs... how do you do it? better still, can you show me a picture? I know lots of guys that would really like to know.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

There is an attachment for the old Johnnyrudes, but they are scarce. Best bet is to submerge the leg in a tub/barrel or just take it to the lake/ramp on a boat and run it there.

Thanks Jonesg,
I'll do that. And I am replacing the impeller for sure. I have to pick up my driveshaft from the machinest.

(back story: I'm changing the motor from a long to a short shaft. The guy that sold me the motor gave me the shorter shaft. When I disconnected the impeller from the longer one, I noticed that the long one used a short pin to secure the impeller, and the short shaft replacement had no pin, but a half moon.)

Thinking that the guy gave me a bum shaft I checked the replacement by putting both ends in their respective places (one at a time). The upper, slid in nicely, and any flywheel movement corresopned perfectly (no lag) with shaft movement. Same story with the lower unit.

To make sure the length was correct. I set the housing spacer on a flat surface, stood the short shaft on it, and the long on the ground next to it. Perfect match for length. So I droped the short and long ones off at the machinest, and asked him to slap a pin in the same place as the long one. He's a marine machinest, so i'm sure he'll know what end to measure from.