Test Props - who sells?

Chris Wilson

Cadet
I want to check the timing on my 17' Lowe 40 hp Evinrude (1991). The Clymer manual recommends not trying to check the timing at top end speed (approx. 5K) while under way. I might assume it is for safety, but I can't discount that they may have other reasons - the manual did not say why.<br /><br />Anyway, before I ignore them and try it on a water-like-glass day I thought I might try to find a test prop (their recommended method) and see if I can check it out that way. I've been searching the Web for some time now and have not even come close.<br /><br />Any suggested sources would be appreciated. According to the manual, I need a Test Wheel Part No. 432986. I assume that may be an OMC number but their Web site is not oriented to investigating this type stuff - just want to sell new motors. Also any thoughts on why an "on boat" test might not be just as effective - if I check it out with a partner and we are careful...<br /><br />Thanks.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Test Props - who sells?

Even if Clymer doesn't recommend it, in the water, under load is the only sure way to time a OMC outboard. There's lots of other ways, but it comes back to timing it on the water. I can't time my engine like that because I have 6" set-back so I have to compensate. My engine times at 28 degs. BTDC. With the engine on the hose and idleing, I manually move the timing ring to the stop and with a timing light and set it at 25 degs. BTDC. Centrifical force will advance the timing another 2 or 3 degrees. It runs great there, but it ain't right. One turn of the stop screw is about one degree. Clockwise retards and ccw advances. I'm gonna give mine another degree advance and watch the plugs like a hawk. Bottom line, if you can time on the water, wfo, do it. Be real careful and don't get hurt.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This is how we do it -- Back the trailer down the ramp far enough so the water covers the water pump with the motor down far enough to be straight up and down. Unhook the throttle linkage so you can do it by hand, or have someone operate the controls. Start the motor, remote button or other person, and (in gear) slowly run it up. If you dont get 5000 rpm, pull the trailer up a tad. If its too much and the prop "blows out", back it in a tad. Now shoot the timing.<br /><br />While youre there -- go for a ride!

sloopy

Commander

get a prop.. it gets people mad :!

Chris Wilson

Cadet

Great suggestions and feedback, although I don't understand the point of the comment from "Sloopy" which I think was meant as either humor or sarcasm.<br /><br />Anyway, we just changed the powerhead and are in the middle of a low speed (1000 - 2000 RPM) 25:1 break in. The engine is running great so far and we intend to run about 12 gal through before we try to raise the RPM to 5K. We also disconnected the VRO (which we are reasonably sure caused our powerhead failure). What a tremendous piece of mind that is to know that oil is getting to the cylinders. I am convinced the VRO failure was catastrophic and not gradual. No warning and that is bad if you are a boater...<br /><br />Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. May take a couple of weeks before we can get two take through.<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback. We WILL try some of you suggestions.

sloopy

Commander

the ramp owners hate it when you put a boat in and run the prop to do test and timing. the prop moves all the sand away under the ramp and makes a whole that people get trailers stuck in!!! its no fun having an axle snap in the water!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just what I need Sloopy, something else to worry about.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Chris Wilson

Cadet

Sloopy. Now I understand your comment. I do know that there are concerns at many ramps about prop wash affecting the smoothness of the ramp. Thus the restrictions for power loading.<br /><br />I was already trying to determine what ramp I might use where a trailer test would not affect the ramp surface. Since the boat is relatively small, a large and deep ramp that has been surfaced in concrete or similar material were going to be my prime considerations.<br /><br />Fortunately, in our area, there are many boats that are regularly (every weekend) launched and retrieved that are 30' - 40' in length and require public big, deep and concrete ramps. I was considering those.<br /><br />Since I did not get any suggestions about where to get a test prop (other than hope EBay has one- but I'll look). I'm running out of options to check the timing - on the ramp or at 30+ MPH on the lake. I really don't think I can justify $150+ for a dealer (general quotes I've received) to set or "verify" the timing.<br /><br />Finally, with all respect, if I may suggest that you consider being a little less subtle with your responses next time so the recipient knows exactly what you are trying to communicate. However, having said that, your feedback is appreciated, valid, and I agree with the concern.<br /><br />Thanks again....

sloopy

Commander

you need a test prop? why did'nt you say so! what size do ya need?

sloopy

Commander

oh yeah something else I auta tell ya :) please still don't do that, what happens is your boat will create prop wash for 30 feet or so and it still digs up! ifyou can go to a river river and find a drop off and lower you lower unit and start the timing :) just be creative :)

Chris Wilson

Cadet

Sloopy, I "did" say I was looking for one in my original message and even included the part No. from Clymer. The manual refers to the part as a "test wheel". I assume to help minimize any confusion between it and normal propellers...

sloopy

Commander

I rent them out :) sady I don't have that size :( I can lookfo you thoug I have one for a 300hp and a 500hp and a ton for the 2 hp through the 20 hp