Temperature gauge needle when cold

karayj

Chief Petty Officer
Temperature gauge needle when cold is well below the C. This indicates inaccurate read Because the starting point is way too under the C. I’m gonna attach a picture because after the boat runs for about 4 to 5 minutes it finally reaches the first notch next to the C. I’m just concerned because I want to know if the boat is overheating or not and it looks to be off by an entire section or notch on the gauge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
how long have you had this low reading?? I have same issue on one of my gages right after I had motor replaced.I am wondering about the accuracy since the gage never read that low before.Charlie

karayj

Chief Petty Officer
I tried replacing a while ago with an INCORRECT on that showed the boat overheating after 5 min. Turns out the KID at west marine sold me the wrong on so it put the temp switch back . My goal was to fix this inaccurate gauged reading. I bet it the gauge but I want to make sure rather then waste money

alldodge

Staff member
You should have 240 to 33 ohms (cold to hot) gauge and sender.

Take the wire off the sender at the thermostat. With key ON (motor OFF) ground the sender lead to the block. Doing this should peg the gauge hot

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's rare that dash gauges are spot-on accurate. If you want a precise reading of the exact temperature, you need to invest a WHOLE HEAP more money than a $50 gauge. Dash gauges are reasonable indications of what's happening. You run the engine and look at where the gauges are under normal circumstances, then when one isn't where it normally is, you know you have a problem to be looked into.