Temperature and freezing.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Why fill it with something that could freeze? Draining it right gets all the water out.

​I've never seen it freeze. And if it doesn't freeze here it wont freeze anywhere. We get -30 to -40 temps. Even if its drained right there is still a chance of water being in there.

thumpar

Admiral
​I've never seen it freeze. And if it doesn't freeze here it wont freeze anywhere. We get -30 to -40 temps. Even if its drained right there is still a chance of water being in there.
Not if done right. Mix some with water and put it in the freezer. It will freeze well before the air in there.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Oh oh.......I feel it building......ye ole drain it vs. anti-freeze it discussion.

Now where's that popcorn 🍿

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh oh.......I feel it building......ye ole drain it vs. anti-freeze it discussion.

Now where's that popcorn 🍿

Lol where's that popcorn. I under stand what you are asking 89retta but unsure of the answer and if you feel better about putting antifreeze in Your engine then all the power to you. If you haven't had a problem doing it in the past then what could it hurt now. When I first bought my holiday trailer the first winter I bought a thick 20x30 tarp and wrapped it, my family members where giving me a hard time that I should have just used it to cover the tire cause to them that's all that mattered. They keep telling me that my camper was going to be scratched from the tarp and giving me a hard time. Long story short that spring when I uncovered it I didn't have a scratch on it cause I had it tight and it wrapped the hole camper. That was the winter my sister had hers stored in a cover all shed with about 100 others and it collapsed. Had kind of a laugh cause mine came out of the winter with out a scratch. Sorry for the long winded reply

Back to the question though we had -7 last night and my uncle just got back from his hunting camp with this trailer and hadn't winterized till today when he went out this morning to check it his lines had froze not solid but enough that his pump wouldn't pump water. Not sure if that helps you any with your question but -7c for more than 12-14hrs will freeze/slush up water

thumpar

Admiral
I don't use antifreeze. When I met my last GF she had a 26' fancy trailer. It was winterized after being drained with antifreeze. They completely flushed the system with it. In the spring the toilet valve and faucet tube were both cracked from freezing. I have been draining my boats for over 10 years.

89retta

Since winter is almost here. I think I will take 3 containers. 1 with water , 1 with water and antifreeze and 1 with straight antifreeze. And see how they make out and post the results. Oh almost forgot need a 4th one with air lol

fhhuber

Lieutenant
0 F at night = you better have the water out and/or antifreeze in.

0 C at night... It takes quite a while for the water to freeze at sea level...

Time to freeze will be less as altitude goes up due to increased vaporization rate taking heat energy out of the water faster. Water is interesting and can have some as gas, liquid and solid all at the same time at sea level at 0 C / 32 F. (this is actually what allows life out of the oceans on Earth)

Its better to be paranoid and drain early than to be overconfident and have ice crack your block.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well yes I did. Why would I pay a shop $300 to do the same thing.
Why would you even use a method that may cause your block to freeze?

Can't believe shops even do that. I would never use a shop again if they really think that works.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Time to freeze will be less as altitude goes up due to increased vaporization rate taking heat energy out of the water faster.
Altitude has nothing to do with it. The pressure difference in negligible. In fact, if you reduce pressure, the freezing point actually increases but it so slight it's a fraction of a degree.

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I don't understand why everyone is giving him a hard time about it. Everyone has there own way of doing things and this is his way on his boat. Iboats sells these kits for the people that do want to put antifreeze in there engine. The tread wasn't even started over winterizing it was over freezing point of water jmho

Attachments

• photo253834.png
    photo253834.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253835.png
    photo253835.png
    554.4 KB · Views: 0

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
... What I'm wondering is how long would it take for a block to freeze. Would the temp have to stay below 0 for at least a day or two. Or would it freeze solid if the temp was below 0 at night then above during the day.

I think we can all agree there are way too many variables here to come up with a single answer - no way to give a time and temperature that would cover all circumstances. Interesting debate though. Is any of this locker-room talk?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't understand why everyone is giving him a hard time about it. Everyone has there own way of doing things and this is his way on his boat. Iboats sells these kits for the people that do want to put antifreeze in there engine. The tread wasn't even started over winterizing it was over freezing point of water jmho
Come back in the winter and see how many people have cracked blocks using this method.

The problem is the antifreeze basically goes into the manifolds since it can't get by the thermostat. What does get by the thermostat mixes with remnants of water still in the block and drive hoses and settles down in the block in a now diluted mixture which will freeze at a much higher temp than what the antifreeze is rated for full strength.

What is really bad is people using those systems that don't drain their block first. Then you are really screwed. Also risk burning out your impeller since it can suck way faster than it can pull AF out of that hose.

if you insist on using AF, just drain the blocks completely and pur some into the block through the large cooling hose after you remove it from the thermostat housing.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
...if you insist on using AF, just drain the blocks completely and pur some into the block through the large cooling hose after you remove it from the thermostat housing.

+1 on that - IF you want to add antifreeze AFTER you drain it thoroughly

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think we can all agree there are way too many variables here to come up with a single answer - no way to give a time and temperature that would cover all circumstances. Interesting debate though. Is any of this locker-room talk?

Agreed to many variables.

79_banshee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Come back in the winter and see how many people have cracked blocks using this method.

The problem is the antifreeze basically goes into the manifolds since it can't get by the thermostat. What does get by the thermostat mixes with remnants of water still in the block and drive hoses and settles down in the block in a now diluted mixture which will freeze at a much higher temp than what the antifreeze is rated for full strength.

What is really bad is people using those systems that don't drain their block first. Then you are really screwed. Also risk burning out your impeller since it can suck way faster than it can pull AF out of that hose.

if you insist on using AF, just drain the blocks completely and pur some into the block through the large cooling hose after you remove it from the thermostat housing.

That is understandable I would have thought that was the way to do it anyway. Drain and fill through the upper hose even take the thermostat out and fill through engine that way if you really wanted to make sure all the water is out and all you got is antifreeze in it.

89retta

Why would you even use a method that may cause your block to freeze?

Can't believe shops even do that. I would never use a shop again if they really think that works.

​I think everyone is missing the fact that the block is drained first and then antifreeze is pumped in. Edmonton is a city of 1 million people and there is a lot of boat shops. And every shop does it this way. So as for blocks cracking by this method is unfounded. Martin Motorsports is one of the biggest in western Canada with a few locations. This even how they do it. So if its good enough for a multi million dollar company that services 1000s of boats and no complaints about cracked blocks. Its good enough for me