Temp Gauge

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1989 Celebrity 181 175Hp i have not had it out yet, but i hooked up with muffs, and temp went up to yellow very close to red , what temp sould it be at 150? or lower, what would cause it to go up, is the muff not putting enough water out or is there something else i should check? ohh how fast should the boat go? thanks

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Temp Gauge

When was the last time the impellor was changed in the outdrive? Should be changed every other year as maintenance. Start there if it has not been serviced. Good time to check ujoints/gimbal bearing/bellows. If the bellows are original, it as well as the shift cable bellows need replaced simply from age. Bellows/shift cable bellows go 5years I believe. After that is it's borrowed time. Bellows failure can sink your boat...

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there another way to test if the impeller is bad? without taking it apart?

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is the boat new to you? If so, the impellor is cheap, the gaskets for the drive are cheap. The engine is not. There can be other issues, but this has to be eliminated first. Thermostat, manifolds, etc etc. all have an impact on cooling.
none of that will make a difference if the drive isn't pumping water.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i went out yesterday and checked the outdrive out, my old boat i had water that came out the exhaust (prop) warm water, but the new one has two holes one on each side of the gimbel, the warm water comes out there, if the water impeller is bad would warm water still be coming out those holes?
Im more than likely going to replace the impeller anyways, but just curious on how the impeller works. is it hard to replace the impeller, and any important things i need to know upon doing this? Thanks for your help guys

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

well i went out yesterday and checked the outdrive out, my old boat i had water that came out the exhaust (prop) warm water, but the new one has two holes one on each side of the gimbel, the warm water comes out there, if the water impeller is bad would warm water still be coming out those holes?
Yes, water pressure from the hose will still push some water through.......;)
Im more than likely going to replace the impeller anyways, but just curious on how the impeller works. is it hard to replace the impeller, and any important things i need to know upon doing this? Thanks for your help guys
You need Merc manual 6......
Make sure you put the shifter in forward for removal of the entire unit.....

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf
Click on the lettered sections on page seven to view ....;)

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not trying to be anoying, but if the impeller is bad would there be warm water coming out the two exhaust holes on each side of the bellows area theres not much but a trickel of water coming out of the prop. which im not sure if it has thru prop exhaust. thanks sorry for all the questions

ziggy

Admiral

if ya don't know the history of the boat. ya need to R&R the impeller.
if the engine gets hot. 1st place to look is the impeller.
is there another way to test if the impeller is bad? without taking it apart?
sure, observe the temp gage, or, let it overheat. then ya'll know.....and ya'll still end up taking it apart to repair it. + ya'll get to go find as many pieces of the impeller that ya can find hopeing chunks of it don't find their way into the cooling passages inside the engine, where ya can't go get them, let alone the other rubber parts that will get smoldered too....
ya've got the link to the service manual. read it. it's great reading.
Make sure you put the shifter in forward for removal of the entire unit.....
when on the bench, it's easier to R&R the impeller. however ya can take just the lower off too. but it's much harder to put it back, but not impossible. if ya remove the drive like hm says, ya can also do other pm that yer supposed to do yearly too. like grease the coupler splines, lub the ujoint, inspect the bellows, check alignment.......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

The Exhaust,+ the expelled Water should be exiting both the idle relief ports,+ the prop......

Impellers usually start to Fail,+ still pass some water..... But not Enough water...

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok thanks guys can someone point me where to get one for my outdrive thanks again for all your help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the top of this page and click on Mercruiser IO parts. Follow the links.

waterdawg69

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i made alittle progress and some new information, i started her up today on muffs temp holing at 170 but the passenger side riser is running a 130 degrees(used temp gun) and the drivers side riser is at 85 degrees, what gives with that problem. thanks

erikgreen

Captain

Your risers may be old or corroded, and different water flows between the two may generate "hot spots".

I think 170 means you have the wrong thermostat installed....