Tell us the story of your Starcraft

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,
I was thinking since the way I got my Starcraft was a pretty cool way to get it we all could tell the story of how we got our Starcrafts, how it got to its current condition and what future plans you may have for it and post a pic of it also.
Adam

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tell us the story of your Starcraft

The day I got mine I was outside in my driveway dinkin around on my fishing boat and a neighbor of mine pulled up and asked of I want a boat and I said I have one already but he's like how bout you come take a look at it and he says it's a runabout and I ask him what kind and he said its a Starcraft so I had to look. So I went over there and we talked for awhile and I end up gettin it for $400. Pretty good deal for it. I kno some members have posted in my other thread sayin this is a made up but it's all true. I got real lucky with it. For now I'm just gonna run it but try and restore it in five plus years.

5641e81d.jpg

76891be9.jpg

55e5b4ca.jpg

Now let's here your guys' stories

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 79 22' Islander was listed in the local paper for $2300. I called the guy up and made arrangements to see it after work. I meet him at the marina and he showed me the boat. I was more than concerned with the OMC stringer because I'd only heard negative comments about it. He fired it up and it started immediately. I asked him to drive us around a bit. It went into forward very easily but refused to shift into reverse. I balked at the reverse situation, he immediately says I can have it for $1,600. The boat was too big for him and he had no mechanical skills to work on anything. I told him I would get in touch with him when I came into town on Sunday, this was a Friday afternoon. I had a friend waiting on me because we heading up north. I went back to see him on Sunday and said "I don't think I'm going to take it." He's getting visibly nervous. I told him I knew nothing about i/o's, and I really didn't. Finally he says I can have it for $1000. How could I refuse? We loaded it up and I headed home. I launched the boat a week later. It ran like a top but refused to go into reverse. I flipped the dog house up and lowered the idle a bit because it was high. Presto she shifts into reverse like a champ. Then the work began. A little over a year later I now have a 22' Islander CC. It can be seen here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=548643
When the white leg gives up the ghost the next mod will be an offshore bracket with a four stroke outboard.

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow you really talked him down

'57Lapline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't really go wrong with that. Real nice find

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

A buddy of mine owned the boat and was is some financial trouble. He came to me and asked if I'd like to buy it. At the time i already had a nice '59 Alumacraft that I had just finished. But after a day or two of mulling it over I decided to sell it and help a friend out. In hind sight I probably paid too much for it ($1000), but it he's been a good friend for over 20 some years. Needless to say the boat wasnt exactly how I remembered it lol. But it turned out to be a fun project, and it also help my buddy get back on track. A "win, win" for everybody!

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got my starcraft last month. My grandfather bought the boat new in 1967, my father grew up with it. 14 years ago he lightly restored it, when he got a new larger boat it was given to my uncle who tried to fix it up again, after several years of not much they decided to give it to me. So now its gonna be all fixed up better than new. Below is a link to my restoration thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=554681

BonairII

Commander

I became the owner of a Starcraft because of the Starmada cult living here on iboats. :rolleyes:

I became interested in them after going through the "Show me your Starcraft" thread....and then was actively searching for one after following the "Starcrafts on CL" thread.

I wasn't finding what I wanted just searching CL, so I placed an ad looking for an open bow Starcraft.....within 2 hours a guy emailed me that he had one(16' SS) that he needed to get rid of.

Took a look at it.....got some advice here....then bought it the next day. :D