Tell tale not working properly

royal50

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 Force 120 that has the buzzer going off a WOT. I thought it might of been my impeller so I checked it out and everything looks good. I also changed my thermostat and the buzzer still goes off. I took the boat out yesterday and did noticed that the tell tale only pisses at low speed. As soon as I go into WOT the tell tale stops.
What can my problem be?

Jiggz

Captain
Re: Tell tale not working properly

There could be debris or scale build up into the water ports. Blow back first and see if that fixes the problem.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sometimes impeller looks good but it is not. fins are a little short or rubber gets stiff. could be thermostat also

Jiggz

Captain

i understand you already changed the thermostat but it's not that difficult to ensure it opens properly. Placing it in a hot water above 130 degrees the thing should open all the way. If it does, I still recommend back flushing the system to ensure there is no blockage.

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

i understand you already changed the thermostat but it's not that difficult to ensure it opens properly. Placing it in a hot water above 130 degrees the thing should open all the way. If it does, I still recommend back flushing the system to ensure there is no blockage.

I did remove the thermostat and placed a water hose straight in the housing and flush it out but no debris came out other than dirty water.

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

Should I be seeing a lot of water coming out of the tell tale even during wot?

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes you should be seeing lots of water at wide open throttle. besides the impeller there is a water pipe an seals make sure all that is good

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the impeller is bad? Pics of the impeller and the housing?
Possible the exhaust is clogging and it's blocking the water flow.
Salt or fresh water(profile,location)? You running in shallow water? Lots of sand?
Test the sending unit?(sounds like it's ok???)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Are you certain that the impeller key is not either missing, broken, or slipped into the pump chambers?

Jiggz

Captain

I did remove the thermostat and placed a water hose straight in the housing and flush it out but no debris came out other than dirty water.

Dirty water coming out is a good sign you are cleaning something. Re-verify the impeller again, take photos & post and then connect a hose to the water tube (in the motor leg) and slowly bring up the pressure on the garden hose. With the thermostat out and cover installed, you should see lots of water coming on both the snout and the tell tale.

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe the impeller is bad? Pics of the impeller and the housing?
Possible the exhaust is clogging and it's blocking the water flow.
Salt or fresh water(profile,location)? You running in shallow water? Lots of sand?
Test the sending unit?(sounds like it's ok???)

Jerry I'm using my boat in both lakes and ocean. Not really in shallow water. The past couple of times it's been ocean because we were going crabbing. I'm in Washington, Whidbey island.
Frank when I removed the impeller yesterday the key was in its place and like I said the impeller looked fine to me with no cracks or anything obvious. Then again I'm not a pro at this. I thought my problem was defenetly the temp sensor but not that I'm not getting water out of my tell tale it tells me that is the impeller or blockage somewhere. I just don't know where to look.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The corners of the tips of the impeller blades should be nice and square, not rounded..At least for my engine, when the impeller starts to wear on these tips, pump efficiency is lowered..compare the old impeller to a brand new one..look for striations, nicks and rounded corners..

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

I should clarify something that I found out today. I was told that my force 120 does not have a tell tale on the side like most motors. I only have the two openings just under the cover. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I'm going to try to post a video of my motor running for everyone to see. Maybe this will help.

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/14nilnb/5[/video]

Last edited:

royal50

Seaman Apprentice

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/2me1etc/5[/video]

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pics of the housing?Pic of the impeller.
The second video,shows it pumping good.
If you went to the trouble of checking the impeller you should have changed it.
Duct tape the muffs in place(lower needs to be dry)and see if it helps the flow?
Install a tell-tale.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I should clarify something that I found out today. I was told that my force 120 does not have a tell tale on the side like most motors. I only have the two openings just under the cover. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I'm going to try to post a video of my motor running for everyone to see. Maybe this will help.

Yes, these motors don't have tell tales installed. You can put one in though... Take a look at the sticky http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/can-i-add-telltale-force-210027.html.

It's very easy to do and much more effective than checking the two port holes on the back of the motor.

royal50

Seaman Apprentice