Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It's alright.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Terrible. Stay away!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CptAJ

Cadet
Hi guys, first post here. This forum comes highly recommended from reddit.com. Hope you guys don't mind if I just go ahead and pick your brains a little from the start. I hear there's no better place to ask a boating question on the internet!

I'm on the market for a 21-24' used boat and this bad boy just showed up. It seems to be in good condition from the photos but I'd have to go check it out myself with a top notch mechanic friend of mine. It has a 1993 Mercruiser V8 400hp engine which sounds sweet. I'm usually an outboard guy but this one is selling for the same price as similarly sized outboard boats with 200-225hp.

At any rate, I'm wondering, what can you tell me about this boat? I've never owned Wellcraft although my father did own a bigger one and said it was a good boat. What about the engine? I don't know much outside the outboard world.

It's selling for ~$8,000 but I can probably get it down to $7,200 with a little luck. It comes with the trailer and all. (Keep in mind I live in Venezuela so the market may be a little different. I don't know what these sell for in the US)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Tell me about the Wellcraft Scarab 22'

Hi guys, first post here. This forum comes highly recommended from reddit.com. Hope you guys don't mind if I just go ahead and pick your brains a little from the start. I hear there's no better place to ask a boating question on the internet!

I'm on the market for a 21-24' used boat and this bad boy just showed up. It seems to be in good condition from the photos but I'd have to go check it out myself with a top notch mechanic friend of mine. It has a 1993 Mercruiser V8 400hp engine which sounds sweet. I'm usually an outboard guy but this one is selling for the same price as similarly sized outboard boats with 200-225hp.

At any rate, I'm wondering, what can you tell me about this boat? I've never owned Wellcraft although my father did own a bigger one and said it was a good boat. What about the engine? I don't know much outside the outboard world.

It's selling for ~$8,000 but I can probably get it down to $7,200 with a little luck. It comes with the trailer and all. (Keep in mind I live in Venezuela so the market may be a little different. I don't know what these sell for in the US)

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Wellcrafts are well built hulls, that are still susceptible to neglect...

Ya know,... check for rotten stringers, or transom...

A '93 400hp Merc is too vague to say,... I'd guess some form of BBC, probably Efi, or Mpi...

Oughta be a Bravo drive...

haulnazz15

Captain

Are we talking about a 1993 Wellcraft Scarab? In any case, the Wellcraft boats are good solid boats. They aren't exactly at the top of the "offshore powerboat" category, but they do build decent entry-level powerboats. As with any boat, a thorough inspection of the transom/stringers is necessary. I would imagine the boat will run mid-60's or so with that power.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems like a nice boat for the price. Need to ditch the go-fast air cleaner and get a marine flame arrestor.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I voted neutral as boats are less about brand than they are about current condition. The drive and engine have nothing to do with Wellcraft and are probably the biggest concern. Bravos are bulletproof if in the right shape, and the big block is a plus if you are looking for speed. I doubt 400 horsepower as even the Mag was only rated 350 front he factory in '92 - '93. If in good shape, she'll make a decent go fast with a nice smooth ride. Good luck and welcome aboard! :)

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Scarab's generally a purty solid boat, fast hull. Spinoff of the Nova btw. With a big block? Propped right with a light load it oughta run every bit of 65 and then some.

I'd say the price is in the ballpark granted it checks out with your mechanic/surveyor. How's the interior, etc?

CptAJ

Cadet

The interior does worry me a bit. In fact, good thing you mentioned cause I looked again. I did worry me the first time since there was only one picture of it and it looked iffy and rebuilt-ish. I don't really mind as long as it's in good, usable shape though. But look at that console... is that a real scarab console? I've looked at other pictures online and they all have a more vertically aligned steering wheel.

wellcraft2.jpg

Even if it's original... I'm a bit concerned cause the low angle just seems like it's gonna be uncomfortable on a speedboat.

60-70mph sounds just about right, btw. I was thinking something along those lines... more around 70 than 60 considering the HP on that engine but I guess I was being optimistic (A dangerous thing when shopping for boats!)

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must say, that interior shot looks more like 1973, instead of 1993. Looks iffy to me. I looked at a few different scarabs and novas, from the mid '80s early '90s, and their helms looked alot more high performance like. That helm looks like something out of a '70s tri hull. Not dissing the old tri hulls! But seriously, If I were you, I would also look at Formula, Baja, etc. Thats what I was in the market for recently. I quickly discovered, offshore style boats, in my price range were old, and junk. The nice ones commanded a premium price, that I wasnt willing to pay for a 25-30 year old boat. I just recently purchased a CLEAN, low hour, 1 owner '95 Wellcraft Eclipse 210 SCS. It has the Scarab feel, imo, and was at a price I was willing to pay. Plus, its still a Wellcraft!

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't think there is a windshield on that model, so I don't think it's missing. However, the interior is definitely not Scarab-esque that I've ever seen. If I had to guess, I'd say the boat was either sunk at one point, or the interior was absolutely shot from mistreatment. Whatever the case was, they didn't want to spend the money to have all of the interior panels/seating re-upholstered, so they simply tossed it all out, threw in a cheap helm seat and carpeted the inside of the gunnels and floor. I'm not positive on the helm itself, but it sure doesn't look like any Scarab helm I've seen. I'd have to pass on this one.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think picture is pretty representative:

scarab5.jpg

They did have "windshields", but that type is often removed. They crack and are easy to just get rid of. I also think this is how the helm would've looked. Who knows where that deal came from. Almost looks like a replacement for a 'toon or a Center Console. Dunno :confused:

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had one of those. Nothing wrong with them if it has been maintained and not rotted out. I enjoyed the little windshield. I could sit and drive the boat with wind in my face!

I sold it because:
a) limited, cramped seating
b) Big power for a 22' boat. You can go 65MPH, but should you? Me and my passengers didn't enjoy that power in choppy water -- lots of slamming. I felt out of control at times. Under 40MPH, it was a great boat.
c) The cuddy cabin is not functional.

When I was selling the boat, most people echoed the a) b) c) above. Just some considerations.

I would price that boat in the $6500-$7500 range. I sold mine for $7000. That one looks in the range.

BTW, I bought a Wellcraft Eclipse 21'. More of a functional layout, runabout style. Working much better for us.

CptAJ

Cadet

Yeah, I knew that console was off.

I don't think it was a restoration job. The console position is completely different and it does look like the older ones. It could be a homebrew hull copy of the scarab and the builder just preferred the old style. Hull copying is big here in Venezuela. We do it to develop high performance versions with different materials and specs or merely to just customize the design a bit. We have a very healthy number of factories for such an unindustrialized country, you'd be surprised.

I have nothing against the knockoffs. I've seen them beat the originals in a race time and again all over the Caribbean. Some are really classy, well beyond the original's pedigree and others are so customized as to be completely different hulls. (I could tell you all about the Venezuelan powerboat industry if you guys are interested)

But this development complicates the matter quite a bit. If it's restored, then the guy is not telling the whole truth. If it's a copy then he's outright lying. Either way, all questions about Wellcraft's scarab are moot at this point since this thing could handle completely different even being a copy. I'll probably steer clear although I just MIGHT take it out for a ride if I'm in the area testing the other boats I'm looking at. I didn't want to bother the owner before but since he's a bit of an a-hole, I just might do it to annoy him in the name of boating justice XD