Teleflex steering system?

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice
I have just purchased a 17 ft fiberglass starcraft with a 75hp Johnson O/B that has the old cable steering. This is my first boat, and so I am trying to fix her up and make her fun and safe cheaply, due to my college budget being low :). I have been told in my other chat topic that I should not waste the time replacing the pulley system steering, and instead put a Teleflex system on instead. <br /><br />Does everyone agree that this is the best option for me?<br /><br />Are they easy for a rookie like myself to install?<br /><br />Maintenence?<br /><br />For this kind of boat, should I get a rack & pinion, or a rotary model? Does it matter?<br /><br />Does anyone else have any other ideas for an oldie boat like this? It is solid, it runs alright, but there is TONS to be done!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Teleflex steering system?

A new Teleflex sounds very clever. Tell the dealer your boat size and largest amount of HP it'll ever have to handle.<br /><br />A smooth, easy steering will help you each and every time you take it out. It's a good investment - and a new steering is even safer!

D

DJ

PCM,<br /><br />For your rig, rotary or rack really doesn't matter.<br /><br />The rack system takes up more room under the dash.

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your input, but I got yelled at for posting this in two locations, but in anyone has input on these systems versus the pulley systems, please post in my other topic: "more touble than fun for a starter boat", or something very close to that name. Just look for PCM as the starter. I would appreciate any help on this. Also, does anyone know of a site where you can get the teleflex systems for somewhere around $100? I have heard you can find them for that, but most show up as costing around $120-150.<br /><br />Thanks, and I will talk to you in the other topic!