teflon tape ?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: teflon tape ?

Teflon tape was invented to replace petroleum product types of sealers when used on gasses and liquides that have a serious dislike for oil products. Like liquid oxygen.

Teflon tape when installed wrong can do the following
1. Break aluminum castings (such as fuel filter housing, fuel pumps, etc.
2. Too much Tef Tape and you can insulate the threads from the base metal which will make the sending units non-sending units.
3. To much Tef Tape will cause them to leak.
4. To little or wrong way of wraping will cause leaks.
5. Taping over the end a little will have loose tape going into the sender, or fuel system or whatever you are using it on.

Since about 90% of the poeple I have watched install the stuff, have done it wrong, So, why would anyone recommend it's use.

The ONLY good thing about it, is it doesn't leak in your tool box or get your fingers messy. It sure has nothing to do with sealing a pipe thread joint.

PS: Neither Merc, nor Volvo recommend it. And in a few manuals, it has a warning specifically saying NOT to use it.

So why do you guys like it so much??????????? Doesn't make any sense to me.

The Oracle has spoken! Thx Don:D

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don,

My point has nothing to do with using teflon tape. It has to do with the fact that NPT is a flawed design. This is coming from someone who is in the high-purity valve and fitting industry. Not some boat ya-hoo on here. You can slice it anyway you would like. But a NPT fitting requires some kind of secondary make-up material in order to seal everytime. Teflon tape works. Pipe dope works. Loctite products work. etc. etc. If you don't like teflon that's fine. However, you can say what you like. NPT fittings are a flawed design. And that goes for any seal that relies on the THREAD to seal. Hence Flares, Swage, Compression, Toriod, etc. etc. None of these seal on the threads. Some may use threads to draw the seal together, but none seal on the threads.

CCJ

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And Don,

No, teflon tape was not invented to be used on Oxygen tanks & systems.

You are dead wrong on that one my friend. Oxygen systems never use any type of sealant whatsoever. It's all Swagelok, Compression, Flare etc.

Never is a make-up compound used in any high-purity set up. Nor in any type of oxygen system. NEVER.

The Famous story about the MIT kid who blew out a concrete wall (and himself) when he used pipe-dope (a teflon based material suspended in grease) to seal the regulator. That's why all regulators say:

USE NO OIL

CCJ

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are dead wrong on that one my friend. Oxygen systems never use any type of sealant whatsoever. It's all Swagelok, Compression, Flare etc.

Amazing. I guess my instructor at Lockheed Aircraft in GA back in 1970. was wrong about teflon tape. Since that is what he stated, as he was showing me how to install the teflon tape on the pipe threaded fittings going onto the LOX Converter in the front wheel well of the military C130 aircraft we were building.

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now it's time for the machinist to weigh in:

Gotta love those machinists! they know everything!:rolleyes:
Now excuse me while I get my micrometer( thats a measuring device to you guys) to make sure I put just the right amount of teflon tape on my flawed fitting.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Amazing. I guess my instructor at Lockheed Aircraft in GA back in 1970. was wrong about teflon tape. Since that is what he stated, as he was showing me how to install the teflon tape on the pipe threaded fittings going onto the LOX Converter in the front wheel well of the military C130 aircraft we were building.

Yeah......I seem to remember that the 25L and 75L LOX converters in the C-141 also used T-tape. You could see it on the exposed fittings.

Chapstick on your lips could cause a fire (on your face:eek::eek::eek:) if you used the quick-don mask during a rapid depressurization.

They cautioned us against using chapstick (petroleum jelly)!!:rolleyes:

aspeck

Staff member

I use teflon tape on a lot of things, but never with the expectation that it will seal anything that would not seal on it's own. I use teflon tape to avoid bonding of the surfaces ... so I can break the thread grip and the fitting apart at a later time.